More threads by Adrianne

Adrianne

I'm on disability for my mental illness for 4 years. I want to get back into the workforce but a lot of the ads I've seen say they do complete background checks.

Now, since I've been on SS for 4 years, I was going to say I was doing my old pet sitting business or taking care of my ailing mother. However, can they find out if I was on disability? Then what? I'm caught lying?

I know they can't ask about medical stuff but showing I was on disability for 4 years doesn't look good for a new job, whether it was being hurt on another job or for mental illness.

Will they find out I was/am on disability? Even if I don't tell them why, it still doesn't fare well for a job.

Anyone else have this problem?

Retired

Lying on a job application can be grounds for dismissal for cause in most jurisdictions that I am aware of in North America.

You may choose to withhold information, but actually stating erroneous information can be serious.

If you were on disability for a heart attack, would you be feeling the same anxiety about disclosure?

If you are in recovery, and if your doctor is advising you to return to work, you should feel confident and comfortable to do so.

You may choose to voluntarily not disclose your illness, if you feel there is an advantage in doing so, but my personal view is that it would do you a short term and long term disservice to falsify your history.

Additionally there are legal protections in place:

Some additional resources:

NAMI | Updates & What's New - Healthcare Reform, EEOC, Famous People

Job Applicants and the Americans With Disabilities Act

Mind - Employer Disclosure : What to Tell Your Employer

Myths and Facts about Mental Illness

Adrianne

Steve, Thanks for replying.

My pet sitting business was a sole-proprietorship so I have no problem saying I was still doing it, which I was on a very small scale. At my best, I had 120 clients and make over $40,000, but totally burnt out.

I've heard some other people say they came clean with their being on disability for mental issues and being turned down for job - obviously not given reasons for it but they felt they "had it in the bag" and employers are afraid you won't be a long-term employee.

I did have a part time job and did disclose my illness but I wasn't on disability at the time.

Also, finding a job that will pay more than what I'm getting on disability is a challenge since I've been out of the workforce for a while. I used to be a bookkeeper, customer service rep, office manager, etc. I'm also behind on computer stuff but that's another story. That is easily solved with classes.

No one can access your medical history that is confidential unless you have a criminal record that states you have mental illness you do not have to worry

Retired

a challenge since I've been out of the workforce for a while. I used to be a bookkeeper, customer service rep, office manager, etc. I'm also behind on computer stuff ........ easily solved with classes.

Adrianne,

It would seem to me that you would need to re-establish your employment history, your work reputation and skill level.

With regard to computer skills, perhaps some classes, but the best experience comes from doing. Whatever computer skills you need to hone, you may want to look for opportunities to apply those skills, even if it is on a volunteer basis. If you are working with spreadsheets and accounting software, look for a church, a community organization, a private club or even some small businesses that need light accounting to become accustomed to today's software.

As for employment opportunities, you might find that "shifting down" from the caliber of employer for whom you had your earlier experience.

So if you had worked for a 1,000 employee multinational prior to your disability, in order to re establish yourself in the workforce, you might apply to a 100 employee size local employer in the same field. If you hit obstacles there, consider downgrading to a mom and pop shop that might jump at hiring someone with your advanced experience.

Your situation might be similar, in some ways to a college student who has to do some intern work, some pro bono work and some entry level jobs to establish a track record and a reputation.

Get involved with some volunteer work and strive to get on the executive of the organization, which can help enhance your resum?.

You may have to look at a couple of years to re establish yourself, but now there are technological tools for networking such as social media and places like LinkedIn to make yourself known to your business peers.

Have you ever used any networking tools?

Adrienne:

Before I let the cat-out-of-the bag so to speak, I would do some investigations to ascertain what a full background check entails. There are all kinds of checks: financial, medical, past employment, etc. A lot will depend upon the type of job you are applying for. Choose your battles wisely. If there is drug testing in a given job, you may opt to pass on that one. You may want to check with a mental health agency to inquire how someone who has been disabled goes about securing a job and answers or circumvents "risky" questions. There is a way to work, but you may have to take tiny steps. Good luck to you. I applaud your courage!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.