More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Are ?Borderlines? Really Just Emotional Vampires?
Florida Borderline Personality Disorder Association
August 26, 2009

I have a Google alert set up for ?borderline personality disorder? and other keywords surrounding the diagnosis so that I can keep up with what?s being published on the Internet as well as traditional media. From time-to-time, something will pop up that will make me cringe. Today?s cringe-worthy declaration from a blog? Those diagnosed with BPD are ?emotional vampires.?

Alas, vilifying persons with mental illness is nothing new. A natural reaction to things that are novel or even just different is fear. It?s easier and certainly less complicated to laugh at someone on the street who is talking to someone who isn?t there. But what happens when someone in (or out) our lives has been diagnosed with BPD and they really do seem to behave like an emotional vampire?

First of all, witnessing or being confronted with the behaviors of someone with BPD can be confusing, frustrating, exhausting, and sometimes even scary. If you are scared, you can safely assume that the person who is ?acting out? is also terrified by their reactions to what is happening around them. The result of this overwhelming emotional chaos may be expressed externally by yelling, blaming, and physically harming others or internally through self-injury (such as cutting or burning), crippling feelings of guilt or shame, or, ultimately, suicide.

It?s important to remember that someone with BPD isn?t making a conscious choice to make life hell-on-earth for you or anyone else. Simply put, their life is full of suffering and until they are able to receive effective, compassionate treatment, it will continue to be a painful existence?day-after-day and year-after-year.

Labels do nothing to help educate or create environments where healing can occur. While BPD is highly treatable, misinformation and out-dated myths often take the place of the kindness, forgiveness, and mercy needed to help support someone diagnosed with the disorder.

Remember: Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

How true these words are People with this illness are suffering greatly and don't want the chaos in their lives. They need compassion, understanding, the same treatment as other disorders get not shunned away from. How do you think it makes them feel when they want so badly to get better but no one wants to take them in. It only took one doctor to see what others didn't and you know what she is healing after years and years of suffering she is finally got a doctor who is treating her and she is healing. They are not emotiona vampires they are people suffering so deeply they just need help to show them what to do with the pain. Just my perspective on what i have seen but there is healing in the right professional hands.

angelikah

I have been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. It's not fun. When I was really struggling with BPD it emotionally draining for me too. I still struggle with abandonment and attachment issues.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
No.

Diagnostic criteria for 301.83 Borderline Personality Disorder

A pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image, and affects, and marked impulsivity beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

(1) frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment.
Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.

(2) a pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation

(3) identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self

(4) impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, Substance Abuse, reckless driving, binge eating).
Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.

(5) recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior

(6) affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)

(7) chronic feelings of emptiness

(8) inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)

(9) transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.