More threads by Lana

I am glad you are going to try the new medication and also that you are going back to see your therapist. One day at a time right even a minute at a time but you are getting through it and we are here to listen not judge and to let you know you are not alone ok. Keep reaching out here and for sure keep going to your therapist i know it is hard but that one connection is a life line as well as here so don't close any doors yet ok. Hope you keep us up to date on how you are doing.

Roy H.

Of course, we care and your therapist does as well. But I understand what you are saying. Reminds me of the lyric: "It's the loneliness that's the killer."

We are never as alone as we perceive ourselves to be. The hard part is accepting and grasping the hand that is reaching out to help when we feel like we're drowning.

Except for the drinking part, I can fully understand what you are going though because I live with it constantly and have for many years but every single time I'm at the end of my rope somehow strangely someone comes along and ties on another couple feet of rope or gives me a push upwards a bit. Most of the time just enough to keep hanging on a bit longer. Then it starts all over again. I'm still here at 56 years old so there's been a lot of extra rope and pushes handed my way when I thought all was lost.

Now regarding the falling off the wagon part I think you know as well as I do that it's not how often you fall but how often you get back up that matters. Life WILL knock you down. That's a fact but it can't keep you down as long as you keep getting back up!

I'd really appreciate it if you would do me one little favor please: Go to your next meeting as planned. Then, go to 2 more, one for me and one just for the heck of it before you make any decision whatsoever regarding your therapy. What do you say?

Where there is life there is hope!

I am glad you are going to try the new medication and also that you are going back to see your therapist. One day at a time right even a minute at a time but you are getting through it and we are here to listen not judge and to let you know you are not alone ok. Keep reaching out here and for sure keep going to your therapist i know it is hard but that one connection is a life line as well as here so don't close any doors yet ok. Hope you keep us up to date on how you are doing.

I appreciate you all taking time out to post. I'm not doing well these days.

Tonight (the third day of taking it?) I think that Prozac made me feel kind of "foggy" - so much so I am not sure I want to keep on with it. It made me feel kind of queazy. Not sure how to articulate it but I didn't like how I was feeling earlier tonight at work.

I searched side effects and is it common to have fog (dizzy and other side effects) within the first week of taking it? Also, does it make you feel more depressed within the start of using it (for some)?

Just wanted to ask - maybe someone can give some insight on it.

I'll go back to the shrink and therapist on the 23rd I think it is. I'm expected to go to a holiday thing within 10 days and I am not sure I will want to if this Prozac doesn't make me feel less socially psychotic like I have lately. I feel like...I just feel like a damn inhuman alien or something. No, I'm not psychotic, but I feel so sub-human not being able to make eye contact like a normal human I just don't know what I think about myself anymore.

GaryQ

MVP
Fatigue, drowsiness and the accompanying fog are common side effects with SSRIs.
contact your doctor if your depression is worsening. It could be medication related or the fact it’s not working fast enough for you that makes you more depressed.

most side effects often go away as your body and brain adjusts to the new medication. i always say the worst side effects with psychiatric meds is they take so darn long to reach therapeutic serum levels and having to wait for weeks to see if it will help or not isn’t fun for anyone suffering from depression or anxiety. We tend to want a quick fix.

Now its important to realize that it helps with The anxiety part of Social anxiety disorder. It doesn’t (and I don’t think any medication does) help with the actual problems that cause social anxiety and fear of looking someone in the eye. If there was, there would e no need for therapy and therapists.

I know it’s hard and even more frustrating. Especially having to wait 4 weeks to know if it might help a bit. Therapy is even worse it takes s long time to produce results even for the patient who is s willing and cooperative participant.

Unless you have sn alternative way to create exposure therapy to your problem you will probably be stuck in this difficult situation for the rest of your life. It’s like being an alcoholic. Until you’ve personally had enough of the harm it causes you nothing can or will change.

The only therapy that will work is the one you decide to actively participate with an open mind.

Here’s my favorite analogy that applies to many situations including therapy:
“Someone keeps telling me he’s broke and really at the end of the rope. I say I got 20 grand here to help you out. You just have to come get It. Does that mean you have 20 grand? You could answer yes because I told you it here come get it! But NO! you don’t and never will if you don’t come and get it!”

you can fight the concept of the possibility that therapy might Be helpful but if you do you will probably spend the rest of your life constantly fighting your demons (metaphoricall expression only)

I’ve never had success with therapy but I know why! The problem isn’t the therapy it’s my inability to put the effort and work needed to for it to have any chance of success. Sadly, No pill will ever fix that.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Roy H.

Tonight (the third day of taking it?) I think that Prozac made me feel kind of "foggy" - so much so I am not sure I want to keep on with it. It made me feel kind of queazy. Not sure how to articulate it but I didn't like how I was feeling earlier tonight at work.

I searched side effects and is it common to have fog (dizzy and other side effects) within the first week of taking it?

Yes that can happen with Prozac for the first few days after you start taking bit. The first time I took it, I experienced noticeable feelings of depersonalization and derealization, almost as if I were watching myself do simple things instead of actually doing them. Those are just your body getting used to the drug in your system and you can take it as a positive sign that the drug is working. In my case, as I recall, they diminished noticeably each day until after about 3-5 days they were gone.

What dose did your doctor start you on?

Also, does it make you feel more depressed within the start of using it (for some)?

That’s possible but I think it’s more a subjective thing, maybe from pessimism or from expecting too much too soon. This type of medication takes time to work. It’s a longer term solution rather than a quick fix like a tranquilizer or a narcotic so it needs to build up in your system. Fortunately, Prozac has a long half life so it tends to build up more quickly than most in its class.

Roy H.

20 mg dose.

I did not like how I felt yesterday so I will reluctantly shove another down my throat now that I just got up. This sucks. I do not know if I'll making it through this Winter with all the stuff going on - playing around with my brain chemistry at this time is the last thing I want to be doing and we literally skipped Fall and went into Winter and it's cloudy out all the time and I got no social support anymore.

I will just try to take it one day at a time even if it seems like I'm just hanging on for dear life.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Just persist. It will almost certainly get better if you stay on the Prozac and the weird sensations will stop in a few days.

There are far worse side effects with other medications. At least the Prozac side effects don't include pain like some of the medications for blood pressure or cholesterol.

Roy H.

Just persist. It will almost certainly get better if you stay on the Prozac and the weird sensations will stop in a few days.

There are far worse side effects with other medications. At least the Prozac side effects don't include pain like some of the medications for blood pressure or cholesterol.

I have no choice but to make my difficult situation work. There is no other options at this point aside from the streets or death.

Do you know anything about Wellbutrin?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I have no choice but to make my difficult situation work. There is no other options at this point aside from the streets or death.

Do you know anything about Wellbutrin?

Yes. Less effective for depression for most people. Not helpful with anxiety disorders. Side effects can be more unpleasant and may include shakiness or tremors, agitation, and feelings of nervousness or anxiety. Probably not a good choice for you unless better medications fail.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
And Wellbutrin reminds me of why mindfulness retreats are usually caffeine-free. Because Wellbutrin can be quite stimulating for some people and not in a good way necessarily.

GaryQ

MVP
Wellbutrin can be quite stimulating for some people and not in a good way necessarily.

Totally agree. It's a really "strange" medication. Gave me sooooo much energy. I can't remember if the last trial with the Zoloft was # 5 or #6.
Just wired like a crack head. Lots of energy the first times but my OCD and Tourette tics were totally off the charts.

Works for some and not for others... pretty much same story as all other meds but a stimulant is usually not the best thing when someone has anxiety. Hard to find a balance of just being calm, rather than strung up wired or friggen sedated like a zombie with all these meds.

Wellbutrin for me also gave me so much energy got lots done on it though but i did not like the other side effects of it.
It made my mouth so dry and had trouble swallowing some times so stopped it.

I hope the side effects of the Prozac eases up soon and you start feeling the good benefits of it. Yes take one day at a time for now ok even 1 hour at a time You are doing good taking it i know how hard it can be so good for you for taking it each day.

Roy H.

Yes. Less effective for depression for most people. Not helpful with anxiety disorders. Side effects can be more unpleasant and may include shakiness or tremors, agitation, and feelings of nervousness or anxiety. Probably not a good choice for you unless better medications fail.

So you said you take Fluoxitine?

One thing I noticed (and this is a GOOD thing, for me at least) is my appetite has decreased significantly - and since I've always struggled to maintain my healthy weight and I have a propensity to overeat, I like that.

Will this wear off (if in fact it's a side effect of Prozac)?

I felt a little better on it at work last night...today is an off-day for me but I feel a little foggy still.

Eye contact seems like it might be becoming a little easier, believe it or not. I can not say for sure because obviously I've been taking it for less than a week. I don't know if a medication like Prozac can produce noticeable effects (positive, at least) or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree. It's a really "strange" medication. Gave me sooooo much energy. I can't remember if the last trial with the Zoloft was # 5 or #6.
Just wired like a crack head. Lots of energy the first times but my OCD and Tourette tics were totally off the charts.

Works for some and not for others... pretty much same story as all other meds but a stimulant is usually not the best thing when someone has anxiety. Hard to find a balance of just being calm, rather than strung up wired or friggen sedated like a zombie with all these meds.

It's very frustrating - now that I have no one to lean on - this mortgage I just signed and the job I have to pay it are all on me - I don't have the luxury of getting locked away trying to get things right. Plus I have a cat that I do care about and I don't want to get in a jam and have that little fella starve to death while they locked me away somewhere.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
So you said you take Fluoxetine?

I have taken it in the past three times, first in 1996-68 for about 18 months, then in 2015 for about a year to a year and a half again, and thern in 2016-2017 for about 9 months or so. This was for depression each time, triggered by external events.

One thing I noticed (and this is a GOOD thing, for me at least) is my appetite has decreased significantly - and since I've always struggled to maintain my healthy weight and I have a propensity to overeat, I like that.

Will this wear off (if in fact it's a side effect of Prozac)?

That can happen, although it's usually difficult to tell whether that's because of the medication or because of the depression or other conditions (e.g., OCD) it's intended to treat. I don't think it affected me that way personally.

I felt a little better on it at work last night...today is an off-day for me but I feel a little foggy still.

Eye contact seems like it might be becoming a little easier, believe it or not. I can not say for sure because obviously I've been taking it for less than a week. I don't know if a medication like Prozac can produce noticeable effects (positive, at least) or not.

Prozac has very effective anti-obsessional properties and for that reason alone may benefit that specific condition by decreasing the amount of time you spend focusing on and worrying about it.

It's very frustrating - now that I have no one to lean on - this mortgage I just signed and the job I have to pay it are all on me - I don't have the luxury of getting locked away trying to get things right. Plus I have a cat that I do care about and I don't want to get in a jam and have that little fella starve to death while they locked me away somewhere.

I don't see any reason why they would want to lock you away anywhere. Beds are so scarce these days that they're only likely to consider that if you pose an immediate threat to yourself or to someone else.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
It's very frustrating - now that I have no one to lean on - this mortgage I just signed and the job I have to pay it are all on me

If you have a spare bedroom, have you considered renting it out (even for just a day on Airbnb)?

GaryQ

MVP
Any GOOD and this point is GREAT!
Eating less means less chances of gaining weight and also means less money spent on food, Double win there! :)

I'm glad you had a good day and also that looking others in the eye has had some progress.

Maybe you should keep a log of when you are having a good day or even a good period so that when you feel like nothings ever working you can look back and say: Oh yeah! Had a good day there... (Note to me: Doing the same might help me too!) Because it's really hard to remember that we actually had some moments when we're in a dark place.

Hang in there Roy, I have a feeling more progress is headed your way. ;)

Roy H.

If you have a spare bedroom, have you considered renting it out (even for just a day on Airbnb)?

I have an entire finished basement (granted some upgrades to the bathroom need to be made) that I want to rent out.

The thing is - and I don't know if this is laziness or depression, both, or something else - I can never really seem to get anything done down there. I spent my entire life in that basement and moved upstairs after signing the mortgage, and there is still a lot of stuff down there that needs to go and cleaning and probably upgrades.

But again on the weekends all I really want to do is just sit in the lay-z-boy and be left alone. I can't say if it's laziness or medications or depression or what...

- - - Updated - - -

I have taken it in the past three times, first in 1996-68 for about 18 months, then in 2015 for about a year to a year and a half again, and thern in 2016-2017 for about 9 months or so. This was for depression each time, triggered by external events.

That can happen, although it's usually difficult to tell whether that's because of the medication or because of the depression or other conditions (e.g., OCD) it's intended to treat. I don't think it affected me that way personally.

Prozac has very effective anti-obsessional properties and for that reason alone may benefit that specific condition by decreasing the amount of time you spend focusing on and worrying about it.

I don't see any reason why they would want to lock you away anywhere. Beds are so scarce these days that they're only likely to consider that if you pose an immediate threat to yourself or to someone else.

NOt sure if meds or not but I feel sort of rubbish again today. Almost dizzy-like...kind of foggy. I am still taking the Prozac.

GaryQ

MVP
I have an entire finished basement (granted some upgrades to the bathroom need to be made) that I want to rent out.
IF your area is anything like Winnipeg, you put an add online and call it a "Character suite" :rolleyes:

The thing is - and I don't know if this is laziness or depression, both, or something else - I can never really seem to get anything done down there. I spent my entire life in that basement and moved upstairs after signing the mortgage, and there is still a lot of stuff down there that needs to go and cleaning and probably upgrades.
Add the comment "First month free if you clean it out" ;)

But again on the weekends all I really want to do is just sit in the lay-z-boy and be left alone. I can't say if it's laziness or medications or depression or what...
I haven't left my bed today except for bladder calls and :coffee: refills. So you made it to the Lazy-Boy That's better than me!

Not sure if meds or not but I feel sort of rubbish again today. Almost dizzy-like...kind of foggy. I am still taking the Prozac.

Just take it one day at a time or you'll just beat yourself up for nothing! Glad to hear you're giving the Prozac time to see if it will help.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Similarly, my pharmacist emphasized the importance of patience with SSRIs even when I was picking up Prozac for my dog (who has separation anxiety) :)

Regarding the basement/mortgage, the big problem with renting I have seen is having to evict someone who has stopped paying rent and/or them destroying your home (which is why we used to do monthly inspections guised as a monthly pesticide service). And if they don't easily have enough money to pay first and last month's rent (or first month's rent and a downpayment) -- that is obviously a not a good sign.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.