More threads by Retired

Retired

Children With Tourette's Syndrome and Chronic Tic Disorders Respond to Behavioral Therapy

News Author: Susan Jeffrey
Medscape Clinical Briefs

May 24, 2010 — Results from a new randomized trial show that children with Tourette's syndrome and chronic tic disorders have greater improvement in tics and tic-related impairment with comprehensive behavioral intervention than with supportive therapy and education.

"Historically, Tourette's syndrome has been treated with antipsychotic medications, which reduce tics but are associated with side effects that often limit their usefulness in children," lead author John Piacentini, PhD, from the University of California, Los Angeles, said in a statement. "So the development of an effective nonmedication treatment for children with this disorder is a major therapeutic advance."

The authors stress that "acknowledging that behavioral and learning processes play a role in tic severity does not imply that tics have a purely psychological etiology or that patients can suppress tics by force of will.

"Rather, our study lends support to advances in basic science that emphasize the role of both cortical and basal ganglia circuitry on motor function and habit formation."

The findings are reported in the May 19 issue of JAMA.

Premonitory Urges
Tourette's syndrome is a neurologic condition with childhood onset that is characterized by tics and vocalizations, which can range from mild to severe, and can result in functional impairment and social isolation, the authors write.

In the early part of the 20th century, Tourette's syndrome was defined in psychoanalytic terms that often left patients as the scapegoat, seen as unable to control their urges, Dr. Piacentini told Medscape Neurology. In the 1960s and 70s, after the development of drugs that were helpful against tics, this view changed to embrace a completely biological view, he noted, and "any attempts to encourage children to actively manage their tics was really frowned upon."

However, antipsychotic drugs, such as haloperidol, pimozide, and risperidone, rarely eliminate tics, and are associated with adverse effects such as sedation, weight gain, cognitive dulling, and adverse motor events.

Patients often report they tic in response to premonitory urges or sensations that are perceived as unpleasant, and are relieved by completion of the tic. One of the goals of this approach, called comprehensive behavioral therapy for tics (CBIT), Dr. Piacentini said, "is not to eliminate tics, but to teach kids how to manage the urge to tic so they don't have to tic as often or intensely."

CBIT is based primarily on habit reversal training. The child is taught to be aware of the urge to tic and to use a competing response; for vocal tics, for example, they might focus on diaphragmatic breathing until the urge to vocalize subsides.

In this trial, 126 children and adolescents, 9 to 17 years of age, with a diagnosis of Tourette's syndrome or chronic tic disorder were enrolled from 3 sites and randomized to receive either 8 sessions over 10 weeks of CBIT or a control treatment consisting of supportive therapy and education.

This was selected as a comparator "because it's really the most common psychotherapy available to kids in the community for tics," Dr. Piacentini noted. In the overall cohort, 36.5% of the children were also receiving stable antitic medications.

Responders received 3 monthly booster sessions, and were reassessed 3 and 6 months after treatment.

Primary outcome measures were the Yale Global Tic Severity (YGTS) scale, scored from 0 to 50 (tics scoring higher than 15 are considered clinically significant), and the Clinical Global Impressions–Improvement Scale, ranging from 1 (very much improved) to 8 (very much worse).

"We found that CBIT significantly outperformed the comparison treatment," he said. There was an absolute difference between groups of 4.1 points on the YGTS scale (effect size, 0.68; 95% confidence interval, 2.0 - 6.2).

Tic Severity at Baseline and After Treatment by Treatment Assignment

Measure | Yale Global Tic Severity Scale Score (95% CI)*
CBIT baseline | 24.7 (23.1 - 26.3)
CBIT end point | 17.1 (15.1 - 19.1)
Control baseline | 24.6 (23.2 - 26.0)
Control end point | 21.1 (19.2 - 23.0)
*P < .001

Significantly more children in the CBIT group than in the control group were rated very much improved or much improved on the Clinical Global Impressions–Improvement Scale (52.5% vs 18.5%), with a number needed to treat of 3 (P < .001).

Attrition was low in the study overall (9.5%), and tic worsening was reported by 1 child in the CBIT group and 4 in the control group. Adverse effects were tracked as they would be in a drug trial, he added, and there were no adverse effects attributed to the treatment.

"One of the nice things about the treatment is it's teaching kids and their families skills that they can use over the course of their lives, and a lot of families reported feeling really empowered by the treatment, that they had effective tools that they could use in terms of coping, resilience, problem-solving, and stress management that can be generalized to other aspects of their lives," Dr. Piacentini added.

The next step is neuroimaging studies, he said. "The members of our research group, the other authors on this study, have a number of studies we're doing individually and collectively to try to understand the brain mechanisms associated with CBIT, so we're doing some neuroimaging studies to see how CBIT changes the brain in children and adults who respond to the treatment.

"We're also doing studies to adapt CBIT so it can be administered by nurses in pediatric neurology offices," he added. "We really want to get the treatment out to those people who work most closely with Tourette's." Coauthor Douglas W. Woods, PhD, from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, is leading that effort, he said.

The researchers have a wealth of data to look at to identify factors related to response to CBIT.

The disorder, Dr. Piacentini concluded, "is really biological in origin, but now it looks like it's the interaction of biology and environment that really shapes the tics, and both of these should play a role in intervention."

Useful Ancillary Technique
Commenting on this work for Medscape Neurology on behalf of the American Academy of Neurology, Joseph Jankovic, MD, professor of neurology and director of the Parkinson's Disease Center and Movement Disorders Clinic at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, pointed out that the decrease in the YGTS score of 7.6 points with CBIT is slightly less than the decrease usually reported in clinical trials of antipsychotic medications or topiramate (J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2010;81:70-73).

"Although the attrition rate was only 9.5%, and 87% of available responders apparently exhibited continued benefit for 6 months following treatment, there are some limitations to CBIT that should be acknowledged," Dr. Jankovic said.

For example, he noted, "the success of this behavioral management is critically dependent on active involvement by the parents and the therapist, both of whom must be well trained and skilled in the various CBIT techniques, including [habit reversal training]. Given the demands on time and effort on the part of the patient, the therapist, and the parents, it is unlikely that all parties will be able to maintain the needed compliance with the training program to provide sustained benefit."

There is also some concern about whether the mental effort required to fully comply with the various components of CBIT could actually interfere with a patient's attention and learning, Dr. Jankovic added.

"While there has been a great deal of effort exerted over the past several decades to make the scientific, clinical, and lay communities understand the biological and neurological bases of Tourette's syndrome, the reported response to behavioral therapy may be misinterpreted by some as evidence that tics and Tourette's syndrome are of psychological etiology," he cautioned.

The result is that behavioral therapies are often not covered by insurance or other third-party payers.

"Thus, only a limited number of patients will be able to access this behavioral therapy, compared with pharmacologic treatment, which actually may be more effective," he concluded. "Nevertheless, behavioral therapies are useful ancillary techniques in patients whose response to other therapies, including pharmacotherapy, is not entirely satisfactory."

JAMA. 2010;303:1929-1937. Abstract

Additional Resource
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke provide clinicians with an online informational sheet about Tourette's syndrome.

Clinical Context
Tourette's syndrome is a chronic and typically impairing childhood-onset neurologic condition characterized by motor and vocal tics. Tics are usually brief, rapid movements (eg, blinking, facial grimacing) or vocalizations (eg, throat clearing, grunting). Currently, the most effective treatments of Tourette's syndrome and chronic tic disorders are antipsychotic medications such as haloperidol, pimozide, and risperidone. Antipsychotics are first-line treatments of moderate to severe tics; however, they are often associated with adverse effects. Behavioral intervention such as habit reversal training is the most promising; however, it has not been evaluated in large-scale controlled trials.

The aim of this study was to determine the efficacy of CBIT for reducing tic severity in children and adolescents.

Study Highlights
  • In this randomized, observer-blind, controlled trial of 126 children between the ages of 9 and 17 years, with impairing Tourette's syndrome or chronic tic disorder as a primary diagnosis, were recruited and randomly assigned to 8 sessions during 10 weeks of behavioral therapy (n = 61) or a control treatment consisting of supportive therapy and education (n = 65).
  • Responders received 3 monthly booster treatment sessions and were reassessed at 3 and 6 months after treatment.
  • The primary component of CBIT was habit reversal training. In addition, patients were introduced to relaxation training and a functional intervention to address situations that sustained or worsened tics.
  • The primary components of habit reversal training were tic awareness and competing-response training.
  • Awareness training involved self-monitoring of current tics, focusing on the premonitory urge or other early signs that a tic is about to occur.
  • Competing-response training teaches the patient to initiate a voluntary behavior to manage the premonitory urge.
  • The main outcome measures were the YGTS Scale (range, 0 - 50; score > 15 indicating clinically significant tics) and Clinical Global Impressions-Improvement Scale (range, 1 [very much improved] - 8 [very much worse]). They were repeated at weeks 5 and 10.
  • Results demonstrated that behavioral intervention led to a significantly greater decrease on the YGTS Scale, from 2.47 (95% confidence interval [CI], 23.1 - 26.3) to 17.1 (95% CI, 15.1 - 19.1) from baseline to endpoint. The control treatment yielded a YGTS Scale score of 24.6 (95% CI, 23.2 - 26.0) to 21.1 (95% CI, 19.2 - 23.0; P < .001) from baseline to endpoint. The difference between groups was 4.1 (95% CI, 2.0 - 6.2).
  • This difference was clinically meaningful, as suggested by the effect size (0.68).
  • Significantly more children receiving CBIT intervention vs those in the control group were rated as being very much improved or much improved on the Clinical Global Impressions-Improvement Scale (52.5% vs 18.5%, respectively; P < .001).
  • This difference reflected a number needed to treat of 3 and an absolute risk reduction of 34%.
  • Neither the presence of tic-suppressing medication nor tic severity at baseline significantly affected treatment outcome.
  • Attrition was low (12/126, or 9.5%); tic worsening was reported by 4% of children (5/126).
  • Treatment gains were durable, with 87% of available responders to CBIT exhibiting continued benefit 6 months after treatment.

Clinical Implications
  • Currently, the most effective treatments of Tourette's syndrome and chronic tic disorders are antipsychotics, including haloperidol, pimozide, and risperidone.
  • Compared with supportive therapy and education, a CBIT resulted in greater reduction in symptom severity among children with Tourette's syndrome and chronic tic disorders.

Interesting. I've been using redirection as a method of dealing with many of mine, most of which boil down to echolalia. I'll change a possibly unacceptable or very strange or very repetitive phrase into one that is, or at least a total non-sequitur. Sometimes, I'll get caught out with the echolalia, getting told that I'm irritating people and that they're talking, and it will flick a switch insie me, and I'll stop for a while. But it always comes back, not necessarily the same phrases though.

Retired

Do you need to repeat a word or a phrase, and does the repitition trigger further repetition? IOW do you say it once or multiple times?

I never thought about that. Saying it once definitely triggers saying it multiple times, especially when I'm by myself. That's when I let fly...driving, in the shower, in a washroom...anywhere when I know I'm completely alone. But when I'm with others, I fight tooth and nail to keep it under wraps., and that's where the redirection comes in.

Retired

when I'm by myself. That's when I let fly...driving, in the shower, in a washroom...anywhere when I know I'm completely alone. But when I'm with others, I fight tooth and nail to keep it under wraps

Which has been the strategy I have been able to follow throughout my adult life. In fact, most people who know me don't even know about my diagnosis, because in public I manage to suppress and redirect. Most people with Tourette I have met who can use these strategies have probably never shown their full range of tics to anyone, because they realease their tic energy in private as you seem to be doing.

Do you find that by using that private release time helps in easing the pressure to suppress in public? Do you feel guilt or remorse when you "let loose" with your tics in private?

I don't think even my partner really knows the extent of mine, even though she knows that I'm dealing with it, and agrees with my assessment that it is, indeed, Tourettes. Remember that I only have an unofficial, under-the-table diagnosis of it.

To answer your other questions, I think it definitely does. I'll do it until it tires me, and there's a certain sense of respite for a short while after, in which it's almost, but certainly not completely, gone. I do feel remorse and guilt for doing so, because I do recognize just how stupid and silly I sound, even if I know I can't help it.

Once nice thing about being here in this place, I've been able to pick up on, and recognize things that others are doing that I do. It's kinda scary, though.

Retired

You may want to pursue getting a definitive diagnosis, so that you know where you stand, and can take specific and accurate measures or steps to deal with whatever is going on. If I recall some time ago, that was something you were thinking about doing, am I correct?

I do feel remorse and guilt for doing so, because I do recognize just how stupid and silly I sound, even if I know I can't help it.

Here's the thing, Hyzenthlay....if indeed you have Tourette (and we really don't know for certain you do, in the absence of an official diagnosis) then Tourette is part of who you are. If it is Tourette, then it has been part of your life since you were born and will be until you leave this earth. There is no cure, and the best you can hope for, with current medical understanding of the disorder, is some symptomatic relief. Unless your tics are making it impossible for you to function, it might be counterproductive to seek out symptomatic relief for your tics. Do, however, seek treatment for any co-morbid conditions that might interfere with your quality of life, such as OCD, ADHD, anxiety or depression.

These comorbid conditions are treatable and can often take the edge off some of the tic activity by relieving some of the stress and anxiety.

That being said, I would encourage you to find ways to avoid feelings of remorse or guilt for your tic activity. It's who you are and for most people who truly care for you, your tics do not diminish their admiration of you if you express your tics in their presence.

As for the tics in private, where you can "blow off some steam", take pleasure in the ability to be able to let loose. Express all your tics, be they motor tics, vocal tica, echolalia and even if you do some colprolalia..let it all out. The release of energy can be very satisfying. It's your private repertoire by which no one will ever judge you, and, after a while, the acceptance of yourself will go a long way in helping your self esteem.

If you were like me, you may have had parents, who , due to a lack of awareness made derogatory remarks about your tic activity when you were young. Sometimes those remarks form the foundation for remorse and guilt.

To help overcome those feelings, I would encourage you to attend a local Tourette Support Chapter where you can meet other people with Tourette. No one judges, they only share experiences and realize there is a commonality i how we deal with the world, how the world deals with us and how our feelings maight be affected.

Are you in contact with a local Tourette Support organization?

You may want to pursue getting a definitive diagnosis, so that you know where you stand, and can take specific and accurate measures or steps to deal with whatever is going on. If I recall some time ago, that was something you were thinking about doing, am I correct?

Not quite. I've already had an 'unofficial, under-the-table diagnosis that I have it. Because of my military status, one I'd like to keep going for at least a few more years, i.e. 11, I have no intention of seeking an official one through the military medical system. Once I've retired, I will do so.

Here's the thing, Hyzenthlay....if indeed you have Tourette (and we really don't know for certain you do, in the absence of an official diagnosis) then Tourette is part of who you are. If it is Tourette, then it has been part of your life since you were born and will be until you leave this earth. There is no cure, and the best you can hope for, with current medical understanding of the disorder, is some symptomatic relief. Unless your tics are making it impossible for you to function, it might be counterproductive to seek out symptomatic relief for your tics. Do, however, seek treatment for any co-morbid conditions that might interfere with your quality of life, such as OCD, ADHD, anxiety or depression.

These comorbid conditions are treatable and can often take the edge off some of the tic activity by relieving some of the stress and anxiety.

I'm quite aware of that. Any diagnosis I seek will be, purely and simply, for the sake of knowing, that who I am and what I do has a cause and a name.

If I have to identify any co-morbid conditions that interfere with my life, I'd have to immediately say ADHD. I've never really been able to concentrate on anything, and learning can be a real chore. I've found that th best way for me to learn is by doing something hands-on.

I had one supervisor who would hand me a book and tell me to come back in two weeks and tell him what I had learnt from it. I had great difficulty in doing that, and it got me into trouble. But another supervisor took over, and he recognized my learning style very quickly. Instead of having me read a book, or watch someone else complete a task, he'd get me in there and I'd do it. So I'd actually get to learn something, and that was great. I still have a huge difficulty in concentrating though...just about anything is a distraction, and many things are an irritant, such that I have to remove myself if I can. Not fun. For the same reason I'm not going to seek that 'official' diagnosis for TS, I'm not going to look into this either. I certainly don't need to go in looking for something to help with ADHD and have them figure out that it's Tourettes!

Keep in mind, too, that I've also had something else thrust upon me that I have to deal with every day. I am a transsexual woman. This is mostly taken care of...I'm comfortable in my new gender role, even if there are some lasting bits of nastiness that still bring me down, the loss of my kids from my life, for instance. These are all external things, though, and not related to an otherwise successful transition. Best thing I ever did. This is another reason to not seek the diag within that system...I think I've outstayed my welcome in the military mental health system, and coming in with another issue could find me on the street. It's not supposed to work that way, but it often does.

That's why I sought that under-the-table diag in the first place. I knew the trans thing was out there as well.

That being said, I would encourage you to find ways to avoid feelings of remorse or guilt for your tic activity. It's who you are and for most people who truly care for you, your tics do not diminish their admiration of you if you express your tics in their presence.

As for the tics in private, where you can "blow off some steam", take pleasure in the ability to be able to let loose. Express all your tics, be they motor tics, vocal tica, echolalia and even if you do some colprolalia..let it all out. The release of energy can be very satisfying. It's your private repertoire by which no one will ever judge you, and, after a while, the acceptance of yourself will go a long way in helping your self esteem.

Again, that's pretty much what I do.

If you were like me, you may have had parents, who , due to a lack of awareness made derogatory remarks about your tic activity when you were young. Sometimes those remarks form the foundation for remorse and guilt.

I did have parents that didn't really understand, and would berate me for my tics, sometimes even mocking me. But they weren't horribly nasty about it. They just thought they were dealing with an unruly young child who was misbehaving in public, so I can hardly blame them. Did all that take a toll? I don't really know. Some of my tics go back to those days. They have hardly been constant, but get revisited once in a while, usually in a changed format than before. It all seems to come in waves.

To help overcome those feelings, I would encourage you to attend a local Tourette Support Chapter where you can meet other people with Tourette. No one judges, they only share experiences and realize there is a commonality i how we deal with the world, how the world deals with us and how our feelings maight be affected.

Are you in contact with a local Tourette Support organization?

From what I can tell from the TSSC, there's a few within a couple of hours drive from me, but nothing specifically close. I'm also due for a posting, so I'd have to start all over again soon anyway. Be assured I'll be looking for something when I get there.

regards..

Retired

Some of my tics go back to those days. They have hardly been constant, but get revisited once in a while, usually in a changed format than before. It all seems to come in waves.

Exactly, Tourette tics wax and wain over time, while some come and go others seem to reman as the core of the tic repertoire. I still maintain a few tics that go back to when the Tourette first manifested itself at the age of about 5.

parents that didn't really understand, and would berate me for my tics, sometimes even mocking me. But they weren't horribly nasty about it. They just thought they were dealing with an unruly young child who was misbehaving in public, so I can hardly blame them

Your situation parallels mine in many respects in the way my parents related to me when the tics first emerged. I understand and appreciate that in those years there was limited awareness and physicians were not very good at providing a diagnosis, but I am not as consiliatory when it comes to absolving, especially my Father for the abuse to which I was subjected as punishment for the tics.

These were and are involuntary manifestations of a medical disorder and are not a due to a weakness in character, so although your Tourette and perhaps your ADHD may have cause some unruly behaviour as a child, punishment, mockery and demeaning a child is no way to instill any kind of self esteem.

May I ask if your loss of contact with your children is final and absolute or is there an opportunity in the future when they get older that you might be able to re-establish contact.

With all due respect, and because I am not accustomed to the reference terms, I don't want to embarass myself in a future conversation with you by making the wrong assumption. Have you reassigned your gender to become male or female? (ignore..already answered)

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:

Retired

Thanks David. I did not recall that detail had already been provided.

I have to forget something three times before i can remember it once:eek:

It's not a problem. I would have supplied the answer myself had it not been so busy around here.

As I mentioned in the earlier post, I transitioned male to female, which makes me a transsexual woman. 'Transsexual', by the way is always an adjective, never a noun. To use it as such is to strip me of the female identity that is central to my being, for which I fought so hard to bring out.

I could elaborate a fair bit on how to respect transsexual people, but there are people who have expressed it far better than I. Have a look here, instead. I've already said that I would answer any questions about it if people have them.

Hope this helps.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.