• Quote of the Day
    "I was always looking outside myself for strength and confidence but it comes from within. It is there all the time."
    Anna Freud, posted by Daniel

Brenda

Hi,

My name is Brenda. I live in a small town in North Dakota. I am a single mom with a 14-year-old son, a 16-year-old daughter, and a 22-year-old son who I gave up for adoption when I was 18. The reason I used Bi-polar and Proud is because one of my favorite country singers, Cledus Judd, released a CD called that.

I grew up on a farm 20 miles from a small town in southwestern North Dakota. I was the youngest of three children. I had a wonderful childhood and my teenage years were also good. I was a straight "A" student and valedictorian of my class. I participated in sports, music and drama. I had a lot of friends. I went to college and got a secretarial degree. But for 20 years I worked in the service industry as a waitress, bartender, or blackjack dealer. I like the tips. My wages when I first started as a waitress were $3.00 an hour. I lived on tips. It was like a game. At the end of the day, it was so exciting to count my tips. I really don't know when I started being bi-polar. I think it started in high school. But I really didn't have ups and downs. I was very outgoing and really never had too many bad days, like I do now.

I was married in 1991. My husband abused me physically, mentally, verbally, and emotionally. He was arrested for domestic violence. I divorced him in 1994 and lived in a safe house for awhile. He went to prison for 6 months for stalking me. Now he lives in Colorado and doesn't pay child support. It has been four years since I got any kind of money. He is remarried with a son. He has nothing to do with my children. I have sole custody and he has no rights to them.

I have been through a few relationships since then. Right now I live alone with my children. I am seeing an ex-boyfriend, but I take it one day at a time. There is no commitment at this time. He has been a good friend.

I am working part-time waiting on a SSI claim I am filing. My children are wonderful. They are both "A" students and my daughter has two jobs. I can't believe how strong they have been through all my problems the last couple of years.

I hope I wasn't rattling. I do that sometimes. I am glad to be here. I hope to learn a lot and hopefully give some insight and help someone.

healthbound

Hi Brenda - this "Welcome" is a little late and I've seen you in some of the forums already, but I somehow missed your introduction and thought I'd say hello anyway :)

Welcome and :hello:

sunset

Hi Brenda! Sounds like you did a great job with your children!! You are probably a tough cookie and they learn by watching.

Top Bottom