More threads by Brenda

Brenda

Hi,

My name is Brenda. I live in a small town in North Dakota. I am a single mom with a 14-year-old son, a 16-year-old daughter, and a 22-year-old son who I gave up for adoption when I was 18. The reason I used Bi-polar and Proud is because one of my favorite country singers, Cledus Judd, released a CD called that.

I grew up on a farm 20 miles from a small town in southwestern North Dakota. I was the youngest of three children. I had a wonderful childhood and my teenage years were also good. I was a straight "A" student and valedictorian of my class. I participated in sports, music and drama. I had a lot of friends. I went to college and got a secretarial degree. But for 20 years I worked in the service industry as a waitress, bartender, or blackjack dealer. I like the tips. My wages when I first started as a waitress were $3.00 an hour. I lived on tips. It was like a game. At the end of the day, it was so exciting to count my tips. I really don't know when I started being bi-polar. I think it started in high school. But I really didn't have ups and downs. I was very outgoing and really never had too many bad days, like I do now.

I was married in 1991. My husband abused me physically, mentally, verbally, and emotionally. He was arrested for domestic violence. I divorced him in 1994 and lived in a safe house for awhile. He went to prison for 6 months for stalking me. Now he lives in Colorado and doesn't pay child support. It has been four years since I got any kind of money. He is remarried with a son. He has nothing to do with my children. I have sole custody and he has no rights to them.

I have been through a few relationships since then. Right now I live alone with my children. I am seeing an ex-boyfriend, but I take it one day at a time. There is no commitment at this time. He has been a good friend.

I am working part-time waiting on a SSI claim I am filing. My children are wonderful. They are both "A" students and my daughter has two jobs. I can't believe how strong they have been through all my problems the last couple of years.

I hope I wasn't rattling. I do that sometimes. I am glad to be here. I hope to learn a lot and hopefully give some insight and help someone.

Hi Brenda - this "Welcome" is a little late and I've seen you in some of the forums already, but I somehow missed your introduction and thought I'd say hello anyway :)

Welcome and :hello:

sunset

Hi Brenda! Sounds like you did a great job with your children!! You are probably a tough cookie and they learn by watching.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.