More threads by Rosa

Rosa

I'm sure my answers are somewhere here, but if you can bare with me and maybe repeat the answers so i don't have to read everything....sorry...
my questions are when does bi-polar usually begin? At what age?? Is it ever caused by blows to the head -my head was split open at about the age of four when my father hit me in the head with a Tonka truck (he was teaching me that you don't play with toys on furnature-you'll ruin the furnature)..I've also had several concussions as a child and took many blows to the head.?
There is one thing that i haven't told my doctor-it just hasn't come up.? I never think of myself as having any type of 'highs' you would think you would have with bi-polar, but about 10 years ago this was not the case.? I can remember practially boucing off the walls with energy and at the same time period having serious problems with depression.? Is it possible to have highs for awhile and then not again for 10 years??
As far as family history, it is believed my mother had something called sadistic personality disorder based on what my doctor knows about her.? My father was an alcholic and had a terrable temper.? I don't think he had any mental illness.? My half brother was very sick in my opinion but he may or may not have been mentally ill...it could just be he was doing what he could get away with cheered on my my mother.
Thanks
Rosa
also is there any information on nutrition and how that might prevent this or help the condition?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Rosa said:
my questions are when does bi-polar usually begin? At what age?

It can begin any time, though I think it is more often in adolescence or adult years than early childhood.

Is it ever caused by blows to the head -my head was split open at about the age of four when my father hit me in the head with a Tonka truck (he was teaching me that you don't play with toys on furnature-you'll ruin the furnature)..I've also had several concussions as a child and took many blows to the head.

Pretty much anything is possible with head injury - it depends on whether the injury is sufficient to cause damage to the brain and what part of the brain is damaged. It isn't the most likely cause, though.

I never think of myself as having any type of 'highs' you would think you would have with bi-polar, but about 10 years ago this was not the case. I can remember practially boucing off the walls with energy and at the same time period having serious problems with depression. Is it possible to have highs for awhile and then not again for 10 years?

Yes. Some people with bipolar may only have a single manic episode throughout their entire lives. Others may have only two or three spaced many years apart. The depressive episodes tend to be more frequent in many people.

As far as family history, it is believed my mother had something called sadistic personality disorder based on what my doctor knows about her.

There is no personality disorder called sadistic personality disorder. She may have had a personality disorder and she may have been sadistic but there isn't a diagnosis with that name.

also is there any information on nutrition and how that might prevent this or help the condition?

There is some evidence that increasing Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids in your diet (fish or fish oil capsules, whole grains, walnuts, etc.) is beneficial in treating bipolar disorder. It's also a good idea generally for helping to stabilize mood and it benefits general health especially the circulatory system (heart, arteries, veins) and digestion.

Rosa

thanks so much for your replys. It helps to understand this more weither i end up having this or not.
In friendship
Rosa

ddHopes

Yes. Some people with bipolar may only have a single manic episode throughout their entire lives. Others may have only two or three spaced many years apart. The depressive episodes tend to be more frequent in many people.

so David what is the difference in Bipolar 1 which I am and a single episode, I have downs yes ,but I am even manic in my thoughts when I am depressed, they told me once that I was mixed. Does that sound more correct? I guess living it doesn't give you answers , just more questions.

dd, 2?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.