More threads by Eunoia

Eunoia

A thread in this forum got me thinking and I remembered reading something years ago about body image campaigns on college campuses and in high schools, and in one local h/s they went as far as covering all the mirrors to make a point about ed's. Anyways, here's some info that I found and that might get some people thinking.

Extreme Measures: Dying to Look Good

About The Extreme Measures Campaign
In the era of reality programs such as Extreme Makeover, I Want a Famous Face, and The Swan, the strain on women to look their best has never been greater. The Extreme Measures Campaign is a body image campaign led by young women on college campuses that addresses the extreme pressures women face to look perfect. The Campaign includes the Extreme Measures Speaking Tour, where young women visit campuses across the country to talk about how they almost died to look good. Our goal with this campaign is to increase awareness of the fact that many young women struggle with their feelings about their bodies, and to present healthy alternatives to eating disorders and risky cosmetic surgery.

The Extreme Measures Campus Tour is visiting campuses across the country to heighten awareness about the tricks we sometimes see in the mirror. The tour features two college-aged women, an eating disorder survivor and a cosmetic surgery disaster survivor, who will talk about the whole picture – including their experiences with body image issues, obsessions with the scale, going under the knife, hidden health care costs, getting sick, and getting better.

The Extreme Measures Campaign is a project of the Eating Disorders Coalition (EDC).
www.eatingdisorderscoalition.org

also,

Do you love what you see when you look in the mirror

Love Your Body Campaign
Hollywood and the fashion, cosmetics and diet industries work hard to make each of us believe that our bodies are unacceptable and need constant improvement. Print ads and television commercials reduce us to body parts — lips, legs, breasts — airbrushed and touched up to meet impossible standards. TV shows tell women and teenage girls that cosmetic surgery is good for self-esteem. Is it any wonder that more than 80% of fourth-grade girls have been on some form of fad diet? Women and girls spend billions of dollars every year on cosmetics, fashion, magazines and diet aids. These industries can't use negative images to sell their products without our assistance.

Together, we can fight back.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.