More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Body Love: Perfectly Imperfect
Nourishing the Soul
April 11, 2013

Can we love our bodies while still feeling imperfect or dissatisfied? Becca Clegg, a therapist, educator, and coach, tackles this important question in today?s guest post. If you like what you read, go check out more of her insightful musings at Life Beyond the Diet.

blog-logo.jpg

This week, I did a talk for a group of mental health clinicians on Eating Disorders. The talk went great, and I was feeling really pleased with myself for being able to help other therapists learn more about a topic that I am so passionate about.[/LEFT] As I was packing up my stuff to head out, one of the therapists stopped and asked me a question.

?So, you talk about all this stuff, but you are slim. Do your client?s ever ask you how you can talk about struggling with your body when you don?t look like you do??

I answered her as honestly as I could, telling her that you can?t look at someone?s body and know what their own struggle is, as the relationship we have with food is truly internal, and doesn?t really have to do with how the body looks anyway.

I left and didn?t really give her question much thought, but later that day, her question came back to me & stated to morph into self-doubt.

I have been at peace with my body for a long time, but how would I feel if my body changed drastically? Would I still love myself the way I do now if something external shifted?

Does the peace I feel about my body come from within, or is it more related to a judgment that things on the outside are ?ok??

Could I practice what I preach if I lost this sense of peace?

One thing I know deeply is that every part of me is devoted to the idea of self-love and body acceptance. I have a deep knowing that to help women learn to find acceptance is my passion. So to be in this space of questioning was extremely unnerving, and I?ll admit that it hit me between the eyes.

As I started to think about how I relate to my own body, it dawned on me that I don?t actually think everything about my body is ok. In fact, I still judge plenty of things that I see in my body as ?wrong? or ?not good enough?.

I break out. I have awful hair days that even a hat can?t fix. I am aging, and I am starting to see the laws of gravity demonstrating themselves. I have flab here, and wrinkles there, and if I?m looking for it, I can usually find something that is ?out of place?.

At first these thoughts jumped out at me as evidence that I must be an imposter. ?Oh crap!?, I thought, ?How can I think those things and have the nerve to write blog articles about loving your body??

And then I remembered a concept that I have been following for some time. It?s the basis of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), which basically espouses the following: We are culturally indoctrinated with certain thoughts. To try and change those thoughts is nearly impossible. It is much kinder, loving, and quite frankly, easier, to accept those thoughts as what they are, old cultural ideas that have just gotten in your head. Then you move on to commitment to change. Commitment to living from a kinder, gentler thought that is more aligned with what you want to believe.

When I realized this, it gave me a sense of peace. Quite the contrary to feeling like an imposter, it made me realize that of course I still have the judgments about my body that are less than loving. I am human.

I am also, however, fortunate enough to realize that my judgment about my body is the cultural lie, social conditioning left over from being raised in a society that taught me that there is a boiler plate standard for what it means to be ?good enough? as a woman in this world. I also realized that the deepest part of me absolutely knows that this is a pile of B.S.

I can be committed to loving my body and have wonderful, blissful days where I am 100% full of gratitude for everything about it.

I can still be committed to loving my body and have days where I question and doubt and think thoughts that are less than ideal. Body love, like everything else in life, it isn?t all unicorns and rainbows.

I remind people all the time that they should avoid black and white thinking, and search for the middle ground. I came out of this realizing that I needed a dose of my own medicine.

The lesson I took away was that trying to be ?perfect? at love, be it self-love or body-love, is as unrealistic and as stressful as trying to be ?perfect? in our bodies themselves. I choose to ignore the thoughts that I know aren?t kind, and align with the thoughts that are kind and quite frankly, feel better. That is my daily commitment. And the biggest lesson of all is that that is enough.

photo.2.BW_.jpeg

Rebecca Clegg, LPC is a therapist, writer and speaker specializing in helping women overcome unhealthy eating patterns and body image issues. For the last decade, Rebecca has worked in both hospital and outpatient settings, and has worked extensively with a variety mental health issues. She is the President and founder of Authentic Living, LLC, and creator of the blog, www.lifebeyondthediet.com, both committed to the growth and empowerment of women everywhere.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.