More threads by adaptive1

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
How can I calm myself down for my surgery on the23rd? I don't want to look like an emotional lunatic from the minute I walk in the door at the hospital. Does anyone have anything they tried that work. Would visualization work? I Went for my pre-op today and it doesn't sound very pleasant not to mention I am worried about being thrown into menopause which might mess with my hormones and make my OCD worse, although I have no idea if that's the case. I wasn't expecting to go through menopause for a long time, but alas cancer had other plans.

Banned

Banned
Hi adaptive. Sorry to hear you are stressed about this. Totally understandable. Are you having a hysterectomy and are they taking your ovaries or leaving them?

Hi adaptive1 have you talked to your surgeon they can give you a small sedative before hand to help you not feel so anxious the morning of you can take it with small sip of water or it can be given under the tongue

Myself when i went into surgery i just kept myself grounded to who i was saying over and over and i would breath very slowly and just keep focus on the things around me. Have the nurse know that you are prone to anxiety attacks so she can be aware of what you are going through.

Definetly if you can have someone accompany you until you get called into surgery ok it helps to have someone to talk to if you can

Make sure you ask the doctor or nurses before hand what results will come of the surgery any worries you have

Do that before the surgery date your GP will be able to help you with that so you do not have to worry about that on the day of the surgery
hope this helps.

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I bring a sudoku puzzle book or crossword book to work on - also do this for plane takeoffs. Doing a small task like this forces my mind to focus on something beside my worries and fears.

I am sorry you are so frighten if they are removing everything then you will be placed on medication to prevent you from going into early menopause
I hope that you ask all the question you can before surgery ok ask them what you can expect after the surgery and what instructions you will need to follow to recover quickly It will be ok adaptive try not to worry ok

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Thinking of you Adaptive.

I often don't know what is the best thing to say to help someone feel calmer about these sorts of things, as we are all so different. (So sorry if this is not helpful.) But for me, I tend to think of the facts that

-(if you are under general anaesthetic, I'm assuming you will be?) You count down a couple of numbers, and it's suddenly all over and you're waking up.
- Pain management and recovery is so good these days. For most Westerners, it's definitely a good time in history to be in need of an operation.
-If all else fails, (I do this at the dentist and when I have a shot), I dig a fingernail or two into another part of my hand and the sensory input is a bit distracting which is good. Just keep breathing deeply too.

We are behind ya Adaptive, and remember too it is OK to feel scared or stressed, it is understandable. The staff understand this. *hugs*.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.