More threads by HotthenCold

HotthenCold

I know a diagnosis is impossible without in depth personal interaction with a therapist, but I've made some disturbing insights about myself that I don't know how to overcome.

I read the articles on psychpathy and anti social personality disorder, and I'm worried that I have too many traits associated with some egocentric disorders in that realm.

Basically this is why:

I spend a huge amount of time obsessing over my looks and attractiveness. I take rejection very hard and I need constant affirmation of my attractiveness.

I try and avoid talking about myself but once someone finds that catalyst I seem to say way too much and be too self interested. In fact I can tell from otehrs responses towards what I say that I must over estimate the importance of my opinions and of my self to other people.

I have very strong emotions tied to peoples actions towards me and all it takes is a slight dirty look to send me in to a deep depression and rage.

I always think people are talking about me, and it's always derogatory. If I see someone smiling in my direction I usually interpret it as a mocking smile. I honestly believe they are talking about me no matter how unrealistic it is that I make that much of an interpretation on other people. I commented earlier on the spotlight effect articel, but my ability to let go is only sometimes. It still has the power to send me in to a self hating episode.

When I feel wronged by someone I have immediately plot ways to sever all ties with them, even family members. I usually let the important people back in to a degree, but there is really no on in my life who I don't harbour a great deal of animosity towards for previous slights towards my ego and to whom I don't harboud revenge fantasies.

I can barely make myself want to participate in most of normal life. I hate most pop culture, I find most peoples conversation to be very boring or stupid, I can barely find any joy in interacting with other people.I tend to look down on a lot of people for their stupid behaviour.

I usually am secretly overcome by how meaningless and terrifiying human life is. Sometimes I feel on top of the world, but more often I just feel sad and empty, and the craziness of life combined with the terror of inevitable death, as well as the lack of a connection to something eternal and comforting just fully occupies my mind. Sometimes I can distract myself, but the void seems to hang over ever though and every second.

When I want something I can be extremely focused on getting it and when things get in my way I tend to have little patience for dealing with them.

It's not all bad, but the bad days are unbearable and I'm worried becausewhen I'm down I become very self destructive and constantly think of suicide.

Some help please...

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Hi Hotthencold. Just so you know, I am a patient myself.

Getting a diagnosis is an indepth process that requires a trained Psychiatrist or Psychologist to do.

Speaking from a patients prospective, when reading through different articals on other conditions I can see traits that are simular, but that does not mean I have it.

Personal examples of mine are that, I hear voices on occasion, but I do not have Schizophrenia. I dissassociate, but I do not have Dissociative Identity Disorder.

The best way to put your mind at ease is to find a professional to properly diagnosis you. Even with a list of symptoms it is almost impossable to say what one might have.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Hi HC,

I can't help you diagnose any of this. But I'll commiserate with you a little- I can relate to a lot of what you've posted. :) I have a nasty habit of pushing everyone out of my life. I always assume that people are talking badly about me behind my back - and so sometimes, I can lash out when maybe they weren't even talking about me.

I also spend a lot of time obsessing about my physical body and saying some pretty bad stuff about it. All the while appreciating that this may completely fabricated - but I can't help it - I hate mirrors and avoid them at all costs if I can....I hate pictures too, for much of the same reason.

For right now HC, I attribute all of it to just being depressed (where I'm concerned). I don't like myself a lot - but I'm working on it with my psychologist. :) I'm relying on her to maybe point me in the right direction again...

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
As you know, you won't get a specific diagnosis here. However, I can relieve your mind a bit by saying that it is highly unlikely based on what you have told us that you would meet the criteria for antisocial personality disorder or psychopathy.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.