More threads by unionmary

unionmary

The jury is still out on this topic for me. After 2 full years of lamictal(mood stabilizer) treatment,,,,and somewhat regular appointments with a psychiatrist (bit of cognitive therapy), and no mood swings whatsoever, I suggested to my doc that I discontinue the medication. He agreed I could try it, so we put me through a weaning process. By April of 2009 i was drug fee. Since that time I have suffered the occasional blue period,,,,and just recently i seem to be having a few symptoms of hypomania. My sleep seems a bit disrupted and i have more energy, accomplishing much more. I certainly am talking more, anxious to be very helpful to anyone who needs it. Its all good I figure, as long as i don't go overboard with my beer consumption, I have decided I will not worry about it.

I have concluded that my brain problems have stemmed from a severe consussion that I received in an auto accident in 1983. Having been caused from a physical reason, maybe I have healed. Maybe my brain has learned how to balance itself out. Over the years of having this illness i have adopted many strategies to help cope. There was indeed "method" to my madness :D

I am hoping these little hypomania symptoms i am experiencing will just tie in nicely with the Christmas season and give me the little extra boost of energy and good feeling needed to help me celebrate a nice holiday this year.

I hope i have this right, and my form of bipolar, for the most part, has been healed. :D

Mare :2thumbs:

Andy

MVP
Wow, that would be nice:goodjob: I don't know if that is quite possible though. I am not trying to burst your bubble:whistle: I just don't agree. I mean sure you can go for long periods off your meds where you do feel fine but it will slowly creep back or one thing will stress you out and you can easily go in any direction (hi or lo).
I could be wrong of course, and if I am let me know because I will go that route to:goodjob:

Otherwise I am glad your feeling well off your meds but just be careful.:support:

unionmary

I sure will be, questioning everything i do and feel, i sure don't want any reoccurrance of the rollercoaster ride i was on....it sucked bad!!:lol:

Banned

Banned
I would recommend keeping a mood log then, unionmary, so you have some mood history to look at objectively. Sometimes we don't see how our moods change as clearly as others, or as clearly as when it's documented. If you have regular follow-up appointments with your psychiatrist it would be beneficial for him to see as well.

unionmary

thats a good idea, start writing in my journal again....coz you seeeee i have only had very brief blues, and now this bit of elation, since April,,,,when i was completely finished my drugs. The blues was brought on by the death of someone i knew,,,,it hung around a bit to long.

I am not seeing my pdoc now,,,,i guess i could call him if i wanted to, but i don't think its necessary at this time,,,,i will wait a bit longer and play this bit of elation out, nothing but good right now :)

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

......and hey, STP/Turtle :support: thanks for you suggestions and concern!! :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It depends on the individual. Some people have very long periods of time between bipolar cycling - years in some cases. But I think the best evidence is that it's a lifelong condition so the individual is always vulnerable.

One needs to be aware of early warning signs, or live with someone who knows what to look for.

unionmary

I have booked an appointment with my psychiatrist for next Wednesday, seems you are right Dr. Baxter, my symptoms of bipolar, were well hidden for 6 months, truly making me believe that my illness was gone. I am in need of my doctor's reason, which I am sure will be much more sound than mine is at the moment.

The hypomania I am experiencing is causing me to lose sleep and it is getting worse. I have found I am using my "as required" prescription for Ativan more frequently to curb anxiety. I acutally had to refill the prescip bottle I had been carrying in my purse for at least 6 months. What is the shelf life on psychotic medicines, such as Ativan? or is there one?

Well one good thing is, I am able to recognize my illness now, before things get too unmanageable for me. That is a step in the right direction.

Andy

MVP
That is good that you made an appointment unionmary:goodjob:

Ativan is a benzo (I'm thinking you meant psychiatric med not psychotic? I don't think I would want a psychotic med:crazy: lol) and obviously I am not a pharmacist but I am sure the shelf life is quite long, I would guess (and it is a guess) well over a year.

I hope your appointment goes well next Wednesday and helps get you feeling better.:friends:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.