More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Can I Give My Therapist a Gift?
By John M. Grohol, Psy.D.
December 12, 2008

A commonly-asked question at this time of the year is, ?Can I give my therapist a Christmas or holiday gift? What about just a card??

The answer varies from therapist to therapist and from doctor to doctor.

Generally therapists seek to keep the relationship between a client and themselves a professional one, despite the emotional material often discussed in psychotherapy. The more the line blurs between ?professional therapist? and ?paid friend,? the more complicated the relationship becomes. So most therapists will seek to keep that line ? what they call a boundary ? clear and well-understood by both parties.

Some therapists will talk about the subject proactively, letting each client know ahead of time what their policy is regarding presents and cards. Since presents often denote greater meaning than a card, a therapist will most often be reluctant to receive a gift from an active client. In some professions, such as psychology, such gifts are actively discouraged, not because they are not well-intended but because they blur the boundaries of the therapeutic relationship.

Other therapists will not think to talk about the topic, especially with older clients they may have seen longer than a year. If you?re uncertain whether your therapist or psychiatrist is open or able to receive gifts from their clients, simply ask ? ?Hey doc, do you accept Christmas presents from your clients?? Your therapist will think nothing of the question, and more likely than not will answer you in a direct and thoughtful manner.

If your therapist or doctor accepts gifts, you should keep the gift inexpensive (under $20) and oriented toward something specific you know about the therapist they may appreciate. For instance, if your doc likes to fish, a fancy new fishing lure might be appropriate. A gift card to a favorite local eating place is fine. Stay away from jewelry or gifts with special meaning (to either you or the therapist). The best gifts reflect the tastes of the receiver, not the giver.

If your therapist does not accept gifts (and most do not), you can also consider giving a holiday card if you?re so inclined. Again, you should check with your therapist first, as many won?t accept a card from their clients either. But because cards are exchanged even amongst professional colleagues, some therapists may be more accepting of receiving a card.

Gift-giving or card-giving to your therapist is likely to be a one-way street. Very few therapists exchange gifts with their patients, or give out cards to each client. If you?re likely to be upset by the fact that the gift or card is not reciprocated (or appreciated in a specific preconceived manner), you should probably forgo the gift- or card-giving in the first place. And even though this article is focused on holiday gift-giving, it also applies to birthdays (yours and your therapist?s).

Don?t be disappointed if your therapist nixes gift-giving this holiday season. Such a tradition is one that is usually best shared with close friends and family. While it?s easy to think of our therapists as falling into one of those two groups, the therapeutic relationship is really a professional one?just one that happens to discuss very personal and emotionally important topics.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I send my Psychiatrist and Family Doctor a card. With just a little note saying "Thank you for your on going support" or something like that.

For me that is the way for me to show my appreciation for them. I feel the need to thank them, as they are very valuable to my recovery and treatment, but I personally recognize the importants of viewing them as professionals who are trained to provide assistance to those in need.

I highly respect their position of Doctors and I agree there has to be a line drawn.

I will never forget what my Psychiatrist said to me the second appointment. "Don't look at me as your saviour, because every time you leave you will be disapointed. I don't want you to feel elated when arriving here assuming maybe this time you will magically be better. There is no silver bullet cure for what you have."

He saw in me, that I look up to people like a child would. That I could look up to him like a distant big brother, but that being said, in my professional life I had to ensure that even though I "looked up to" someone I had to make sure I didn't feel so inferior to them that I was afraid of them, cause this can happen too.

I personally think gifts are inappropiate in most perfessional situations. Unless say when someone is leaving and people collect to buy them something, at work. I have always been concerned with people viewing me as a "kiss up" or in expectation of special treatment as a result of a "gift".

It is really not worth the headaches it can cause, so I don't do it.
===============
I'm sorry but I really can't accept that... :panic:

:teehee:

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I will never forget what my Psychiatrist said to me the second appointment. "Don't look at me as your saviour, because every time you leave you will be disapointed. I don't want you to feel elated when arriving here assuming maybe this time you will magically be better. There is no silver bullet cure for what you have."

That's excellent. :2thumbs:

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
If I didn't know better I would swear he was psychic mind reader. :eek:

:funny:

But all joking aside, I have a lot of respect for his professional abilities.

Daffodil

Good article. I am glad this was brought up. I have been seeing my therapist for 3 years and he only brought it up this year. He asked me if I had a scissor in my bag (he wanted me to cut a string), and I said yes, then I explained, "I have a scissor in my bag because I was wrapping presents at school". He said, "Are you getting me a present?" and I took out a random item from my bag and pretended to give him, and he said, "That is not a present, a present is something you put thought into." Well I cannot tell you what was said next, but what I suggested he said he would love it. Anyways, he's never brought this up before, and furthermore he doesn't say anything. What does this mean at all? That being said, the boundary lines are well past blurred in this relationship.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

I will never forget what my Psychiatrist said to me the second appointment. "Don't look at me as your saviour, because every time you leave you will be disappointed. I don't want you to feel elated when arriving here assuming maybe this time you will magically be better. There is no silver bullet cure for what you have."

Wow you have a very honest therapist. Mine acts like God and told me his job is to "heal" me. Use of the word "heal" alludes to a God-like position - as I have learned in psy 101 some therapists feel like they are god.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.