More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Can Pets Help with Bipolar Disorder?
By Joe Kraynak, PsychCentral
December 11, 2009

We have three cats. Since our dog passed away several years ago, I?ve been the one holdout in the family in our decision to get another dog. I like the freedom of being able to take off for a couple days without having to figure out ?what to do about the dog.? Besides, bringing a clueless dog into a house with three crafty, conceited cats seems to me to be borderline animal cruelty.

Still, I value the psychological benefits of having a dog around. The cats help, too, but dogs are quite different ? typically a little more clingy, which is often what you need when you?re down in the dumps or feeling that the entire world has turned against you.

I started doing some research on the use of service animals in the treatment of bipolar disorder and found a couple things online:

However, I?m more interested in reading what you have to say. If you have a pet (or pets) please share your experiences and insights of pet ownership as it relates to bipolar. Do you find that your pet helps you maintain mood stability? How so? Describe a time when one of your pets assisted you in an emergency situation. Do you have a pet who serves in the official capacity of a service animal? If so, what specific tasks does your pet perform to assist you?

Freckles

I've been thinking of getting a dog to help out with my anxiety. My mother has two lovely indoor dogs. They really lift my mood but I've held out because my son has asthma. I'm also currently seven months pregnant so I don't know if introducing a dog into our home would help or hurt. The new responsiblity might be too much right now.

Thanks for the great post!

Andy

MVP
You could get a dog like a Bichon Frise, ****zu, Maltese, yorkie (just examples) they have a different kind of hair that is suppose to be ok for allergies.

If I have a dog out with me when I am walking (or even in my car) my anxiety lessons quite a bit, almost as if I were with someone. I am babysitting a puppy right now, and he has me out and about walking him, when normally I rarely leave the apartment. I'd say they are good to have.
I just recently got a cat as well and even having him around is a little comforting, because I live alone. Obviously, I am not suggesting a cat with you being pregnant and your kid have allergies.

Good luck with the decision!

Banned

Banned
I'm considering a psychiatric service dog, so am definitely interested in others' input on this topic as well.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.