More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The cheapest way to talk online to a board-certified vet oncologist (who is also a cancer researcher / assistant professor at Ohio State):

The oncologist, Dr. Brown, was very helpful in answering questions at JustAnswer about my elderly dog's kidney cancer. For one thing, she explained why my dog hasn't died yet. She confirmed my hunch that the cancer may not have spread to the liver. Unlike the primary care vets who were overly pessimistic about the prognosis (like he should have died two months ago), Dr. Brown says surgery is a possible option (though I am not going that route due to cost):

Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 5.23.18 PM.jpg

Also, there isn't any need to increase the steroid dose concerning the cancer itself. Palladia may help to some degree:

Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 5.33.14 PM.jpg

Here in Arizona, the cost for the surgery (a nephrectomy) is well over $4,000 USD, not including the cost of CT imaging, aftercare in the case of complications, etc. I have also read case reports where some of the dogs died soon after the surgery anyway, though that may have been due a lack of experience.

And a needle aspirate can be more expensive than I thought:

Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 5.34.30 PM.jpg

So, for now, instead of focusing on steroids or anything else as a potential solution, I am going to focus on just making the dog as happy as possible. I am still going with the relatively conservative route using NSAIDS or steroids (never both due to potentially deadly GI effects) along with gabapentin for any hidden pain, lots of toys and treats, low-dose marijuana tincture drops, nutritional and herbal supplements for overall health, and possibly frequent, basic bloodwork.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"Ultrasound guidance enables avoidance of low diagnostic yield regions, such as central tumor necrosis, and high-risk regions, such as blood vessels and the renal medulla."

1658353893044.jpg

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"A couple arrives with a dog that has been diagnosed with cancer [lymphoma]. While there is no treatment for dogs, this resonates with Dr. Jeff, as he used to have the same type of cancer."

[The dog's lymphoma was treated with prednisone as well as chemotherapy. The chemo was provided as part of a clinical trial at Colorado State University. Since then, there are now more options for lymphoma, including the oral treatment Laverdia-CA1 used in primary care settings.]

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Another possible reason for why a senior dog is restless at night is pain, especially cancer, which Dr. Dodman says is the most common cause of death in older dogs.

“Tumors swell and grow and push things around,” Dr. Dodman explains.

And if a dog is in pain, that pain can be worse at night because there are no distractions, Dr. Dodman says.

Pain primarily presents as the senior dog having anxiety at night, so look for the same signs as fear, which include raised hackles—that is, the hair on a dog's back and neck standing on end—and enlarged pupils due to increased adrenaline. Dogs can also salivate from extreme fear or distress. Other symptoms pet parents should monitor are tucked tails and what Dr. Dodman calls “whale eye,” where the whites of the dog’s eyes are visible.

Learn more about safe pain management options for senior dogs.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I see my dog's vet on Friday.

If an opioid is not prescribed (since he is not in any obvious pain), my plan for his pain regimen is to switch from a steroid to a NSAID since the steroids are making him too hungry.

So he would be on these prescriptions:

piroxicam (NSAID)
gabapentin
trazodone if needed (hard to be in pain if you are asleep)

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
2016 AAHA/IAAHPC End-of-Life Care Guidelines for Dogs and Cats :acrobat:

End-of-life (EOL) care and decision making are medically, emotionally, and ethically challenging for everyone involved...

Technologies such as video recording and video calling can be helpful in regularly communicating the patient’s home-care status with the healthcare team...

Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 7.44.23 AM.jpg

COMPONENTS OF AN INTEGRATED APPROACH TO END-OF-LIFE CARE
ComponentObjectiveIntervention
Physical carePain managementAnticipate, prevent, control, and regularly monitor acute and chronic pain; provide multimodal pain relief per 2015 AAHA/AAFP Pain Management Guidelines for Dogs and Cats:
• Pharmacologic management
• Environmental modifications
• Dietary management
• Gentle handling techniques
Management of clinical signsExamine patient to diagnose and treat dyspnea, GI signs, cognitive dysfunction, anxiety, pruritus, skin integrity (e.g., local infections, pressure sores), dental health
HygieneMaintain urine and feces sanitation, access to elimination sites
NutritionPerform dietary and body condition assessment; monitor dietary habits and changes; maintain balanced nutrition, adequate food intake, and hydration to the extent possible, keeping in mind that decreased food and water intake are normal in the dying process
MobilityProvide nonskid flooring in pet’s living area, accessible litter box location and design, physical assistance devices (harnesses, slings, carts, and wheelchairs), range-of-motion exercises
SafetyRestrict access to environmental hazards (e.g., swimming pools), protect from aggressive pets, observe for self-trauma
Environmental needsProvide comfortable bedding, temperature and ventilation control, adequate space, peaceful environment
Social wellbeingEngagement with familyInvolve pet in family activities as illness allows, maintain regular owner-pet interaction
Isolation avoidanceAvoid or minimize extended periods of isolation or non-socialization
Interaction with other petsMaintain appropriate interaction with other pets; monitor pet-to-pet hierarchal changes and adverse socialization behaviors
Mental stimulationOffer regular play opportunities and environmental enrichment
Emotional wellbeingPreservation of dignityMinimize house soiling, manage incontinence, maintain good hygiene and grooming
Stress reductionMinimize exposure to stress and changes in routine, assess pet’s willingness to receive needed treatments
Preserve pet’s household roleContinue expectations for companionship, surveillance, or other household roles; adhere to daily routines
Maintain the will to liveMonitor behavior; ensure regular interaction with family members; observe for signs of withdrawal, depression, or resignation

There are veterinarians with advanced skills and an interest in providing animal hospice and palliative care in a growing number of communities. The International Association for Animal Hospice and Palliative Care (IAAHPC) has a Providers Directory on their website. Additional providers can be found in the Resources section of these guidelines...

Euthanasia, a universally legal and widely accepted tool in veterinary care, is a two-edged sword. On one hand, it provides an end to animal suffering when it becomes medically, financially, or physically impossible to maintain the patient’s quality of life. On the other hand, it leaves significant numbers of caregivers struggling with doubts regarding the decisions they made, which prolongs and complicates their grief experience.

As the value of animal hospice care and its availability increase, so will the feasibility of ethically managed, high quality, hospice-sup- ported natural death, and the decision to euthanize will become more nuanced. A satisfactory decision to euthanize is heavily dependent on open, honest, and empathetic communication with the client.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Unfortunately, it is not hard to find negative reviews for at-home euthanasia vets, especially at Yelp:

"There are not enough mean, nasty words in the English language to accurately describe my feelings about this whole experience."

"I have little use for these sort of people who hide behind a phony benevolence which in the daylight is simply greed. You play well off of peoples emotions, but when it comes down to it, it's all about the money and your own convenience."

"Berating me for not noticing sooner my dog needed to be put to sleep, as if she knew his situation better than me, and her demanding she would keep my money due to her cancellation policy."

In other words, filter for the most negative reviews before choosing a vet, including at Yelp.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Regarding pediatricians and their clients, but applies to vets and pet parents as well:

Make Points, Not Enemies: How to Effectively Manage Angry Parents

According to research, consumers generally consider competence and expertise as most important in deciding whether to trust a professional. However, when consumers get angry, they care less about expertise and consider empathy and caring as most important. The old saw of “They don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care” is proven true, particularly with angry parents.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
My 12-year-old dog with kidney cancer deteriorated surprisingly quickly today, six months and three days after his kidney mass was discovered (the same day of adoption from the Humane Society).

He never "circled the drain" as we expected. One minute he was running up the stairs and begging for cheese. The next minute he had problems standing and breathing, and his gums had become white. We provided supplemental oxygen for comfort during the 40-minute drive to the animal hospital, which we called beforehand.

On the positive side, it was the most peaceful euthanasia I have witnessed, partly because he was already asleep (from the sedative routinely given beforehand).

His large kidney tumor was only getting bigger, so something had to give. My guess is that the dramatic change in his condition today was because of internal bleeding:

Studies have shown that when a dog presents with internal bleeding in the abdomen, there is an 85% chance that this is because of cancer. The tumors can grow quite large in some cases, but they often don’t cause an issue until they bleed. Once they rupture and bleed, the patient becomes anemic and starts showing signs of weakness, collapse, or trouble breathing...

Despite the sad ending, I share Rice’s story for several reasons. The first is internal bleeding from cancer in older dogs is not uncommon, and signs develop very suddenly, and so I think it’s something the public should know about. I am hoping people that read this article have a little more knowledge on what signs should prompt them to bring in their pet for evaluation, even if in the middle of the night. Another reason I want to bring up this story is to bring up euthanasia. It is a terribly sad and hard part of the job that most veterinarians deal with on a daily basis, but I truly feel like in cases like Rice’s where he would have suffered if he was left to die naturally, that euthanasia is a gift that can help animals die with dignity. The last reason I wanted to write this story was Rice.

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'm sorry to hear this, Daniel. The cruel part of bonding with animals is that in the majority of cases they predecease us and the pain of that loss is sharp and intense.

The other side of the coin is that he had you to care for him for as long as he was with you and you were able to ensure that the end was peaceful for him. I know that was a comfort to him.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Thank you. Though it was very stressful to see him going down fast, it was also a relief since there wasn't much of a decision to be made.

And I remember when I was a tourist in Mexico, there were lots of street dogs with no one on their side (though there are some rescues): "Mexico is home to the largest population of stray dogs in Latin America, with estimates ranging between 15 and 18 million dogs living without — or abandoned by — human owners."

I found out this morning that my father has a minor case of COVID, so I was distracted by that today and shopping for a care package, including a pulse oximeter. Both my parents have kept up to date with the boosters, so they are still looking forward to their cruise to Alaska next month.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Content current as of: 09/26/2022

1664886038089.jpg

NSAID therapy can also unmask hidden disease that was previously undiagnosed due to the absence of apparent clinical signs. Dogs and cats with underlying kidney disease, for example, may experience worsening of their kidney function while on an NSAID. Dogs and cats at greatest risk for developing side effects from NSAID therapy are those that are dehydrated, on concomitant diuretic therapy, have recently been treated with a corticosteroid, or have pre-existing kidney, heart, or liver dysfunction.

No NSAIDs are approved for long-term use in cats.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.