More threads by rank

rank

I recently had a change of therapist because my old one went on leave. I don't like my new one but that's partly because the old one was the the director of the whole Counselling center and hence was more confident. How long do try to work things out with a therapist before giving up and requesting a change of a new one.

rank

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I expect you are the only one who can answer that question.

When you say, "I don't like the new one", what do you mean specifically? You don't like the therapist personally? You don't the new therapist's approach to therapy? You don't have confidence in the new therapist? You don't trust the new therapist? All of those are valid reasons to look for someone else.

You also don't say how many times you've seen the new therapist. I think that most clients will know within 2 or 3 sessions whether it feels like a good fit, certainly within half a dozen.

The bottom line is this: If you're not feeling comfortable with a therapist, it's unlikely you're going to open enough to derive very much benefit from the sessions. And if that's the case, it makes sense to look for a different therapist.

rank

I expect you are the only one who can answer that question.

When you say, "I don't like the new one", what do you mean specifically? You don't like the therapist personally? You don't the new therapist's approach to therapy? You don't have confidence in the new therapist? You don't trust the new therapist? All of those are valid reasons to look for someone else.

You also don't say how many times you've seen the new therapist. I think that most clients will know within 2 or 3 sessions whether it feels like a good fit, certainly within half a dozen.

The bottom line is this: If you're not feeling comfortable with a therapist, it's unlikely you're going to open enough to derive very much benefit from the sessions. And if that's the case, it makes sense to look for a different therapist.

He just seems so new and so unsure of himself. I think he is just young and inexperienced. I have seen him 1.5 times. 1 full time alone and 1 time in conjunction with the old therapist in the handing over period

teotjunk

I think give it time see if this new young therapist will indeed be helpful to you 1.5 times just interview period really perhaps with a few more visits there will be more direction in the therapy area.

Rank: I've been in similar situations a few times. Change is hard especially when you knew the nuances of the previous therapist and perhaps, vice-versa. Remaining with this new therapist may work and it may not. If you continue to feel uncomfortable, you should bring that up. If the therapist is unable to help you feel more comfortable and take a different tact in therapy, you may have already made your decision. Therapy is not a friendship, but you have to be able to trust the person with whom you're sharing your stuff.

rank

Rank: I've been in similar situations a few times. Change is hard especially when you knew the nuances of the previous therapist and perhaps, vice-versa. Remaining with this new therapist may work and it may not. If you continue to feel uncomfortable, you should bring that up. If the therapist is unable to help you feel more comfortable and take a different tact in therapy, you may have already made your decision. Therapy is not a friendship, but you have to be able to trust the person with whom you're sharing your stuff.

It is my second sessions and I still feel uncomfortable with him. How many sessions do you have before you decide to change

rank

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
There are no rules, rank, beyond your own feelings. If you are not feeling comfortable, it is doubtful that you'll be able to make much progress.

If your instinct is to ask for a different therapist, I would suggest that you follow that instinct.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.