More threads by yellodolphin

How did you choose your therapist?

The last therapist i was with i didnt feel to comfortable. How can you find one you are comfortable with?

The last therapist i had was a guy and after a while i just didn feel comfortable. I dont know why but ive met two therapists and both of them just didnt feel like they genuinely wanted to help me. You know it really difficult to see a therapist and they dont seem too welcoming.

I guess id be more comfortable with a women though. Im a guy but ive always been more comfortable with women.

Halo

Re: Choosing an appropriate therapist..

Yellodolphin,

I read your post and thought that you may want to check out the following thread which may be helpful.

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/showthread.php?t=4441

As for your comment about being more comfortable with a therapist of the opposite sex, I can relate to that as I had a similar experience about 6 months ago when changing therapists myself and it has really worked out well. I think that if you feel that you would be more comfortable with a woman therapist then you should definitely look in that direction.

Take care :)

Banned

Banned

Yellodolphin,

It can take several attempts to find a therapist you are comfortable with and trust. You are probably going to be telling your deepest secrets to this person, so it's bound to take time, and trust has to develop as well. I've recently changed therapists - I was with a guy for 18 months and switched to a girl - strictly because her therapy style was much more suited to me than his was. In my case, I just knew. After my first meeting with her I knew she would be the one to help me. Don't be afraid to keep looking until you find that someone - it is truly quite important.

sidony

I was lucky in that my best friend is a psychologist. She said if I ever wanted to try therapy that she would pick someone for me. I trusted her and figured she could pick out someone who would be right for me. My trust was well rewarded -- I never even had to interview a second theraipst. :)

I only gave her 2 essential requirements (left the rest to her judgment) -- one was location, the other was that my therapist had to be male. I think gender preference for therapists is probably not that uncommon. I can't stand the thought of trying to communicate with a female, but men were always easy for me to talk to. Go with whoever you can talk to the best!!!

Sidony

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.