More threads by stringbean

AmZ

Hi Stringbean...

Definitely is one of the doctor. Make sure to ask. And like is always highly recommended in all cases, don't change the dose of the medication/s without speaking to your doctor about it beforehand.

I know that I am good at dishing out advice to others and not doing the same myself, but take it from me, it's the best thing you can do and probably the only thing you should do ideally.

Wishing you better.

All the best :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
i have just read on a search engine that Anafranil combined with ssri can double - tenfold the effects and also that you can expect the depression or anxiety disorder to get worse on this drug before it gets better!

Be very careful. Where did you read this and how valid is that information? Most of what is on the 'net about medications is utter trash and nonsense.

thanks Amz, and Dr Baxter. I did look on the website by the makers and although it wasnt as blunt it did say increase in symptoms in depression or anxiety disorder at the begining of treatment and also that combination can make the potency 2 to 10fold. But will speak to my Dr tomorrow, thanks for your help

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That would generally apply to people just starting medication, though, if at all. You're already taking medications; this is just a change in dose.

Retired

The question of potential for interaction between and SSRI and a Tricyclic, specifically Anafranil was addressd in post #3 of this thread with follow up comments in post #6. As was stated there is moderate potential for interaction depending on the combination of compounds that might be prescribed. The physician should be of this and would likely order blood tests to monitor the situation.

The interaction takes place in the liver, where the SSRI might impair the metabolic process of the tricyclic.

oh right, I have only just started the anafranil on Monday 20th December til 31st December (10mg) so that was for and it wasnt until i upped to 20mg which i have been on for six days that i had problems and have been on that dose a week. I suppose really i have only been on them for less than three weeks.

you don't change your dose with out your doctors approval it will send your levels all over the place Call whoever it was that ordered these meds for you and explain what is happening. If you cannot get a hold of your doctor then talk another doctor covering. Please do not tamper with your med dosages it will only interfer with the doctors ability to help you hugs

Thanks spirit, my Dr wanted to start me on 25mg but because of my history with side effects we compromised on 10mg and then was to up them but due to the tablets only coming in 10,20 and 50mg had to go straight to 20mg. I managed to speak to a Dr yesterday and they said to take 10mg one day and 20mg the next for a week or two. Unfortunately as they are capsules that's all i can do and hope for the best.

thanks for all your support

Thanks Spirit, will say the mental anxiety is still very high and feel on the verge of loss of control but know thats just me worrying! I am just going to relax tonight with a glass of wine, they say it can make you more drowsy but prepared for an early night.

Your support is very much appreciated, i hope to report that i am feeling much better very soon

just a quick update. I am now up to 20mg (woo hoo) and have been for a few days and although i still feel the same i.e. periods of mental anxiety and feel like i am on the edge of losing it, i think i can recognize it as part of the general anxiety specture. I also had an appointment with a cbt person last week and told me that General anxiety can run hand in hand with ocd so appeased abit. Also have a appointment with a psychiatrist in two weeks so going to get up to the 25mg the dr recommended me to and hopefully speak to him then re long term treatment and prognosis. At least j know i am doing all i can and I WILL GET BETTER !!

another update.
I have had two brilliant days where its all been improving but today a bit of a set back. I have now upped to 25mg and its been ok but today the third day have had the same effects i had when i started it or upped from 10 to 20mg. Feel like my hearing and sight is very sensitive and in a meeting to day at work i was panicking and could only concentrate on these factors - sure its to do with the brain sorting out again the chemistry but did allow myself to go down the obsession route of oh no i am going crazy!
But I WILL GET BETTER - watch this space

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.