More threads by stringbean

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: Lamotrigine / Lamictal

No. As your doctors have told you, it's quite rare. It's serious when it occurs but it's fortunately quite rare.

Retired

I believe that in a situation such as yours where a particular adverse reaction is associated with a medication, that we need to rely on the expertise of the prescribing physician. Your observations are important, and if you feel you need to follow up, then make an appointment with the doctor and have it evaluated.

The doctor knows the criteria to look for, so you will be told if it is an adverse reaction or not. If it is not, then it would be in your best interests to focus on the beneficial effects of the medication, as you have already told us you have experienced relief of your symptoms in the past.

So if you need reassurance, see the doctor. Once reassured, focus on getting better.

Thank you for your replies, I have spoken to my Dr and he said unless i have a new rash (not just my spotty bum) and or hives or blistering then I should continue the meds. They dont seem concerned that i have gone back on it after having stopped it due to the sore i had last time.

I am trying very very hard to focus on the positives but just dont seem to be able to get past the fear, maybe its not worth all the worry.:(

Retired

You may find consolation in Dr. Baxter's earler comments in post #2

David Baxter said:
If you develop a real skin rash, have it checked but otherwise try to ignore the OCD thoughts: Remember that this is just your way of worrying and trying to keep yourself safe. As Daniel has said, they are just thoughts - you do not need to act on them.

I am trying very very hard to focus on the positives but just dont seem to be able to get past the fear, maybe its not worth all the worry

By reaching out for support here and by speaking to your doctor, you are collecting the information you need to make a rational decision. You have already told us the medication helped relieve your symptoms in the past and that you have chosen to restart the medication because you could not bear living with the symptoms when you discontinued the medication once before.

Available information, according to your doctor is that you can safely continue your medication and that you are not experiencing a rare side effect.

Your task now is to process that information to make it your reality so that you can focus on getting better, looking toward the future.

There are risks and benefits in just about everything we humans do every day, from walking across a street in traffic, to flying in an airplane or taking our medications.

In all these situations, the benefits far outweigh the risks, which is how we make our day to day decisions.

I believe in your case, Stringbean, the benefits of your prospective improved mental health far outweighs the risk of a rare side effect about which your doctors, who know you and your medical history, have reassured you.

back again and feel a little silly now looking back on the posts! unfortunately I could not get past the fear of a rash and my ocd latched so much on it that it was doing me more harm than good and myself and my pdoc decided to stop this medication.
I have been seeing my doctor for -9 months and in that time have had some good results from clomipramine and at times thought that i was actually getting somewhere but the results have not lasted. The best i felt was on the mood stabiliser lamotrigine. I am now having cbt and have just started on lithium to augment the clomipramine so I am hoping that i will get some results. I am a little confused as a first i had lamotrigine (mood stabiliser) then tried olanzapine _a anti psychotic and now a mood stabiliser again, not sure how it all works>

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.