More threads by MollyK

MollyK

I go back to the hospital every three months for check ups because I have had recurring depression and sometimes anxiety (although not of late) for most of my life. The doctor said almost in passing, that I have 'comorbic personality disorder' and I didnt think to ask what this meant there, so I came home and looked on the net but still couldnt find any information. It doesnt seem to be anything specific and I havent got a clue what she meant. Can anyone elighten me

ThatLady

Re: Comorbic personality

I think, the word you're looking for is "comorbid", not "comorbic". Perhaps, if you use "co-morbid" as your search criteria, you'll get more hits. :)

What it basically means is that there is more than one factor at work to produce your problems. Depression coupled with anxiety is a co-morbidity of a sort, as is bi-polar disorder coupled with borderline personality disorder. In terms of more commonly understood disease processes, diabetes coupled with congestive heart failure is considered co-morbidity. I hope that helps you to understand a bit better. :hug:

MollyK

It does, thanks ... but what I dont understand is the the words "personality disorder" on the end of it. She said I have comorbid personality disorder.

If it just means more than one symptom ... what is the personality disorder bit about?

I suffer with depression and have attachment problems but dont have a "disorder" as far as I know anyway!

ladylore

Account Closed

Morning,

I hate the word disorder myself :)

And I just learned something new myself, I didn't know the term but it makes sense.

Thanks
Ladylore

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

The doctor said almost in passing, that I have 'comorbic personality disorder' and I didnt think to ask what this meant there...

You would need to get clarification from the doctor. Since this was a passing remark and there are a number of personality disorders, this may be more like a doctor's internal thoughts than a formal diagnosis.

ThatLady

Yep. To find out what the doctor meant by what she said, you'll have to ask her. We'd just be guessing here, and guesses are too often not correct. If I were you, I'd just explain that I didn't quite understand what the doctor was referring to when she said I had a co-morbid personality disorder. Then, I'd ask what personality disorder, in particular, she was talking about and what co-morbidities did she feel might be complicating things.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.