More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Conditioned Avoidance: The Key to Dismissing Attachment
by Hal Shorey Ph.D.
Sept. 8, 2020

Classical conditioning and animal behavior explain complex avoidance patterns.

This post is for all of those dismissing individuals who desperately want to get over their avoidance behaviors and have healthy relationships-and for the friends, family, and children of these individuals who want the person they love to stop running from closeness and affection.

From my experience with clients, I can attest that these patterns are just as confusing for the dismissing/avoidant person as they are for their relationship partners. It all seems so complicated and mystifying: How could a person lose sexual desire for someone they love and want to stay in a relationship with? And how could someone reject and devalue a relationship they were totally invested in a month earlier?

Consider Julie, a dismissing woman dating a securely attached man with an affectionate and somewhat needy six-year-old daughter. The relationship is going great. He is totally into her, fun, loving, and committed. Julie is enjoying the relationship until they start going on some outings with his child. Julie tells her friends, "I can't stand that little girl. I really dislike her and just want her to get away from me. She always wants to hold my hand and I can't stand it." But when her friend asks why, she can come up with nothing but positive descriptors of the child. "She's a really great little girl," she says. "This is crazy! I don't know what is wrong with me." At the same time, Julie reports feeling nothing emotionally now when she sees her boyfriend and is starting to find fault with him. She wonders if she should just end the relationship.

What is going on here?

It could be simple animal behavior masked by layers of complex human thought, explanations, and seemingly conscious decisions.

Look at this example of classical conditioning with my dog. Cocoa loves spending time with my son and loves walks. When my son calls him while inside the house, Cocoa comes running with excitement. When it is time for a walk, he gets so excited that he sometimes bolts before my son can get the leash on him. He runs across the street and my son calls him with a loud, sharp voice commanding him to come back. But Cocoa doesn't come. He either keeps sniffing the neighbor's yard or he might freeze in the middle of the street. Now, if Cocoa was a thinker, he would realize that this behavior might mean no walk today. He loves my son and walks, so why is he being avoidant?

The answer? He has become classically conditioned to associate the command to come with feeling anxious and scared and reacts by freezing or running away.

Before he learned this avoidant behavior, Cocoa considered the command to come a neutral stimulus (NS). But when he finally came, my son would yell and scold him: "Bad Cocoa!" Obviously, my son is scolding the dog for running off, not for coming-but the dog doesn't know this. He just knows that loud command to come = punishment (an unconditioned natural stimulus, or UCS). The unconditioned response (UCR) to being punished is fear, anxiety, and resultant freezing or running-away behavior. So, after conditioning (i.e., learning) has occurred, the now conditioned stimulus (CS) of yelling to come leads automatically to the conditioned response (CR) of freezing or running away.

Now, Cocoa doesn't really think that much, so he probably doesn't know why he is being avoidant. If he was human, however, with all kinds of words and thoughts going through his head, he might tell himself that he really doesn't like my son, and deny that he likes walks, preferring to be alone, with no companions, sniffing the neighbor's yard. To make matters worse, after the pattern goes on for long enough, Cocoa forgets that the punishment was from my son and he generalizes the behavior to anyone (including me) who gives him a loud command to come-this is called stimulus generalization. And he has no idea why.

So, let's go back to the seemingly (but not really) more complex human example. Julie was very timid and affectionate as a preschooler. Her mother did most of the parenting when Julie was a baby and was tolerant of her little girl's disposition. But, when Julie was around four, her mother went back to work and she started spending more time with her father. Her father was outgoing and fun-until Julie would start to whine and cry. When she would get needy and clingy, her father would reply, "Hey, you need to suck it up, buttercup! We'll have none of that. Stop crying!" When Julie was gentle, loving, and affectionate, her father didn't seem to want anything to do with her. But when she was rambunctious and wanted to rough house, he was all in. So, by the first day of kindergarten, Julie didn't even question why her father didn't hold her hand on the way to the bus stop. She knew that being weak, soft, and needy was bad and that nobody would want to be with you or love you if you were like that.

Over the years, Julie forgot about these early life experiences to the extent that she denied having any memories of early childhood. When asked, she would say, "My childhood was great!" But that early relationship pattern never ended.

As a child, her unconditioned stimulus (UCS) was her father's rejection of her soft side. Her neutral stimulus (NS) was her tender, loving, neediness. Her unconditioned response (UCR) was to pretend not to be sensitive or need any reassurance. After learning (classical conditioning) occurred, her tender, loving, neediness (NS) became a conditioned stimulus (CS) that automatically activated the conditioned response (CR) of shutting down her emotional system and not needing close connection or reassurance. With stimulus generalization, her own or anyone else's tender, loving neediness resulted in the controlled response of shutting down emotionally and denying her own (or anyone else's) bids for comfort and reassurance.

The sad part is that (just as with Cocoa) all of this learning occurred outside of Julie's conscious awareness. In her adult life, she dislikes the needy child because the little girl reminds her of her own rejected needs for closeness and comfort. So, her emotional system rather aggressively shuts down any feeling or chance of close contact. Her brain, as adult human brains do, justifies her behavior by telling her that she does not like the (present and real) child and that she has lost feelings for her boyfriend.

We can layer all kinds of other theories of learning and motivation on top of this example, but it really can be this simple.

The Solution

1. Initiate an "extinction paradigm": You need to unlink the feared conditioned stimulus (CS) of being vulnerable and needy from the conditioned response (CR) of rejecting relationship partners and running away.

a. Don't run. Quiet the brain. Tolerate the extreme (phobic) response to closeness.
b. Realize that the story you are telling yourself about your emotions is something you are probably making up after the fact to explain your own irrational behavior.
c. Tolerate other people's vulnerability and their loving and needing you. Eventually, you will see that the vulnerability this evokes in you does not result in anyone getting rejected or shut down. Nothing bad happens, and your feeling of anxiety and dread will subside, and you won't have to run away.

2. If you are the relationship partner, there may be a time in which you feel that the dismissing person is just faking it--that they may not really want to be with you. If you feel that they are faking feeling loving and affectionate for a while, maybe you should let them get away [with] it, at least until they have a chance to habituate to the new normal loving reality. If you get mad and reject them while they are going through the process of "faking it," then you will have reinforced their core childhood belief that if they open up and try to get close to someone, they will get shut down and rejected. By extension, you will have inadvertently reinforced their avoidant response.

Now, go practice, and remember that training animals to engage in new behaviors takes time.

Last edited:
Probably unsurprisingly I somewhat relate to "Julie's" point of view. I've read over this a few times but keep coming to the same point - a "needy child" is indeed disgusting, being "vulnerable and needy" is indeed disgusting. "Being weak, soft and needy" IS bad and "nobody would want to be with you or love you if you were like that." People are told off or punished for being that way because it is wrong. You just don't be like that if you want to be accepted anywhere. Having legitimate problems and getting help for those is one thing and is ok, however neediness is very much not ok. People should be rejected and shut down for neediness.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
a "needy child" is indeed disgusting, being "vulnerable and needy" is indeed disgusting. "Being weak, soft and needy" IS bad and "nobody would want to be with you or love you if you were like that." People are told off or punished for being that way because it is wrong. You just don't be like that if you want to be accepted anywhere.

This is false, a false script you learned from your parents at a young age and are still trying to shrug off.

ALL children are "needy". That's part of being a child. They are to a large extent helpless and dependent upon others, usually their parents, for support and protection and guidance.

Good skillful parents recognize that and help their children to gain confidence in eventually trusting their own decisions and themselves and in making good decisions.

Bad parents, either because they are misguided about how to parent or because they really don't know how to parent or because they really don't like having children and being parents, just do not understand this. Instead of trying to understand and help their children to grow, the blame their children for their own inadequacies as parents, and in so doing they condemn their children to years of low self-esteem, low self-confidence, self-doubt, and self-condemnation.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
As a reminder, Brené Brown is like the spokesperson now for the importance of vulnerability in adults:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCvmsMzlF7o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bren%C3%A9_Brown

2007: "Feminist Standpoint Theory" and "Shame Resilience Theory". In S. P. Robbins, P. Chatterjee & E. R. Canda (Eds.), Contemporary human behavior theory: A critical perspective for social work. Boston: Allyn and Bacon. 560 pp. ISBN 978-0134779263

2007: I Thought It Was Just Me (But It Isn't): Telling the truth about perfectionism, inadequacy and power. Avery. 336 pp. ISBN 978-1592403356

2009: Connections: A 12-session psychoeducational shame-resilience curriculum. Center City, MN: Hazelden. ISBN 978-1592857425

2010: The Gifts of Imperfection: Let go of who you think you're supposed to be and embrace who you are. Center City, MN: Hazelden. 160 pp. ISBN 978-1592858491

2012: Daring Greatly: How the courage to be vulnerable transforms the way we live, love, parent and lead. New York City: Gotham. 320 pp. ISBN 978-1592408412

2015: Rising Strong: The reckoning, the rumble, the revolution. Spiegel & Grau, now Random House. 352 pp. ISBN 978-0812985801

2017: Braving the Wilderness: The quest for true belonging and the courage to stand alone. Random House. 208 pp. ISBN 978-0812985818

2018: Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts. Random House. 320 pp. ISBN 978-0399592522

2020: The Gifts of Imperfection: 10th Anniversary Edition. 256 pp. ISBN 0593133587

Last edited:
This is false, a false script you learned from your parents at a young age and are still trying to shrug off.
It doesn't seem very false. And it's not very safe to test out what would happen if I acted as if it were false.

ALL children are "needy". That's part of being a child. They are to a large extent helpless and dependent upon others, usually their parents, for support and protection and guidance.
Sure, but then they grow up and stop being babies.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Having legitimate problems and getting help for those is one thing and is ok, however neediness is very much not ok. People should be rejected and shut down for neediness.

Even so-called neediness reflects genuine, common problems of living rather than some moral failing:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/romance-redux/201211/five-ways-overcome-feelings-neediness

"We’re only as needy as our unmet needs." — John Bowlby, founder of Attachment Theory

At the heart of attachment theory is the assumption that we all--all of us--have a basic, primal drive to connect. It's wired into us, after millions of years of evolution, because on our own, we humans are weak, relatively defenseless creatures. That's why emotional isolation registers in one of the most primitive areas of our brain--the amygdala--as a life-and-death situation (scientists call this the "primal panic").

The anxiously attached lack any faith that emotional closeness will endure because they were often abandoned or neglected as children, and now, as adults, they frantically attempt to silence the "primal panic" in their brain by doing anything it takes to keep connection. In short, they become needy. (The avoidantly attached shut their dependency needs and feelings off altogether, to escape the pain of having their longings ignored or rejected.)

It's not need, then, that engenders neediness. It's fear of our own needs for connection and the possibility that they won't ever be met. That's what hurtles us into the abject despair of neediness. The only way to get rid of a need is to satisfy it, and the more anxious we are about having it, the more quickly we want it met. Overcoming neediness therefore demands that we disentangle the need from the fear...

https://psychcentral.com/blog/what-does-it-really-mean-to-be-needy/

Neediness is not some flaw or defect. It’s a pattern of behaviors we tend to act out when we have a shaky sense of self and sinking self-worth—both things that you can remedy. The key is to work on knowing who you are and knowing that you’re worthy, Nowland said. “Once you feel strong in your sense of self, you will quickly determine the relationship dynamics that fit for you.”

Of course, the Dr. Phil approach is what a lot of older, conservative/religious people do (like my father) -- blame and shame people who are having problems of living or symptoms of mental illness, even while they are actually in the process of growth. With such a particular, black-and-white view of reality, a lot of compassion goes out the window.

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.