More threads by dip

dip

Just 2 days ago, on Tuesday, I called the Ontario Social Services phone #, seeking an application for ODSP. I'm already on Ontario Works so I had a caseworker (although I asked the lady on the phone if I could switch from her, since she was rude & unhelpful last time). But the lady on the phone said it would likely take very long to change, and that if I wanted these ODSP forms sooner rather than later, she recommends just scheduling an appointment with my current caseworker. So I agree to that. She tells me it's scheduled for Thursday at 12PM.

Well, I show up to the office on Thursday. I had to wait 30 mins despite showing up on time for 12PM. Then at 12:30PM, I'm told by the receptionist that my caseworker is on vacation and that I'll have to be rescheduled in 2 weeks! I was really annoyed about this, especially since it cost me $24 total in transportation to get there & back from the office.

I'm wondering if I could simply call them, answer what they need from me (I believe they told me they had to update my file or something prior to giving me the ODSP forms?) and then just have them mail me the forms or pick them up in person? Can this be done?

That is so unprofessional of your caseworker not to notify you of the cancellation. Is there no one else in the works dept that you can ask for the form there. I would give them a call anyways and see if it can be mailed to you. Perhaps your doctor can get you the forms to fill out as well as he or she will have to fill out parts of it i believe.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I had to wait 30 mins despite showing up on time for 12PM. Then at 12:30PM, I'm told by the receptionist that my caseworker is on vacation and that I'll have to be rescheduled in 2 weeks! I was really annoyed about this, especially since it cost me $24 total in transportation to get there & back from the office.

I had a similar thing happen to me once - highly annoying and when you are already on a tight budget the wasted transportation costs make it even worse.

I'm wondering if I could simply call them, answer what they need from me (I believe they told me they had to update my file or something prior to giving me the ODSP forms?) and then just have them mail me the forms or pick them up in person? Can this be done?

I don't see any harm in asking - perhaps the forms could be emailed to you as a PDF. :acrobat:

If you can understand government websites, which are typically far from clear, you can download the forms you need at Ministry Forms: Ontario Disability Support Program | Ministry of Community and Social Services

dip

I had a similar thing happen to me once - highly annoying and when you are already on a tight budget the wasted transportation costs make it even worse.

I don't see any harm in asking - perhaps the forms could be emailed to you as a PDF. :acrobat:

If you can understand government websites, which are typically far from clear, you can download the forms you need at Ministry Forms: Ontario Disability Support Program | Ministry of Community and Social Services

Thank you, but unfortunately I'm not sure I could print all the required forms without messing up (there's quite a few) so it seems like my only option is just to wait for my rescheduled appointment.

---------- Post Merged at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:15 PM ----------

That is so unprofessional of your caseworker not to notify you of the cancellation. Is there no one else in the works dept that you can ask for the form there. I would give them a call anyways and see if it can be mailed to you. Perhaps your doctor can get you the forms to fill out as well as he or she will have to fill out parts of it i believe.

Yea, that makes both times dealing with her a total disappointment. I already wanted to switch caseworkers after recalling my first meeting with her - but now I have an additional reason after yesterday. Unfortunately, everyone I've talked to about changing says it can take at least a month.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like having the forms mailed to me is an option. I just called and the lady said that I could get the forms if I just walk into the office and ask, however, as the lady on the phone mentioned, there would be 2 issues with that:

1) I likely wouldn't know which forms need to get signed by who (me, doctor, etc.) & other details regarding the process of filling them out; things that a caseworker typically has to explain

and

2) The caseworker must notify or contact ODSP about my intent on applying, or something along those lines

Unfortunately it looks like I'll just have to wait for my rescheduled appointment they gave me with the same caseworker...

...which leads me to 1 more question: Do I have to disclose any personal information such as why I'm applying for ODSP, to the caseworker? I only ask because it was in my prior meeting with her, about a year & a half ago where I mentioned some personal things when asked, and got a rude response.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.