More threads by HotthenCold

HotthenCold

I am trying to figure out if some of my mental health issues could be linked to PTSD resulting from a heart surgery that almost killed me. Actually, it was complications after the surgery that almost killed me, and caused the event for which I think might have caused PTSD.
However, I was heavily drugged for the distressing event, so I'm wondering if there is some subconsicous stuff going on that I just can't remember.

I had surgery to repair a congenital defect in my aorta and initially it went fine, but I woke up too soon once I was stitched up. While still in ICU a few hours after the surgery, I sat up. This caused too my heart to beat faster which was too much stress for the new sutures holding my repaired aorta together.

The stitches burst, my heart stopped, and my surgeon had to stop in the middle of another surgery and rush to open me again and get my heart going.

Thankfully I survived, but I was given "amnesia" drugs after the second surgery so I cannot remember what happened for about a week after the surgery. Not that I want to, but I am wondering:

Is it possible for me to have symptoms of PTSD even though I can't remember the distressing event?

I have OCD, am depressed, often feel hopeless, very irritable, angry, fearful, tense, unable to process thoughts and emotions very well much of the time, severely distressed by thoughts of violence and painful things, and forgetful.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate it!

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Well, you know, with anxiety in general there is a theme of vulnerability. So even just the idea that such a thing could happen can be a focus of rumination. And one way of looking at OCD is that it is a way to try to provide order to an unpredictable universe. There's also the idea that trauma isn't all bad, i.e. posttraumatic growth. And from psychoanalytic perspectives, everyone is a member of the walking wounded, with everyone having defenses against something.

jlc20m

My family doctor told me that PTSD can develop from any life-threatening traumatic event, including experiencing a heart attack or undergoing heart surgery. So, I can't at all speak for your situation, but to answer your question, yes you can... Have you talked to a mental health professional about your surgery? That would be the first place to start in your attempt to have your question answered. Good luck. And, take care.

jlc20m et al

HotthenCold

Thanks for the replies folks.

I know it's near impossible for you to give me an accurate assessment since you only have a paragraph of information to go on.

I haven't spoken with a mental health professional about the surgery specifically, but I think I will now.

Thanks.
HC

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.