More threads by mamatoady

mamatoady

I have been weaning off of zoloft and will start taking Cymbalta tomorrow. It said something about making me sleepy--is it ok to take it at night before bed ? Is there anything I should know about that medication? I'm nervous about starting something new.

Re: cymbalta question

It is good idea to talk to your doctor about this Some take it at night some in the morning depending on meds they are on and what results work best but talking to your doctor and pharmacist before doing so would be wise ok as they know your drug history and medical history

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That said, Cymbalta is one of the dual-action SNRI medications. While it's very difficult to predict whether any individual will have any side-effects at all, let alone a specific side-effect, it is probably a good idea to try taking it before bed initially. If you find it hard to get to sleep after taking it, you can switch to mornings instead.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Cymbalta made me very depressed and I cried all the time. Fortunately my psychologist switched me to Effexor and I have been out of the psych hospital 2 years!

To be clear, Cymbalta works very well with minimal or no side effects for some people. Everyone is different when it comes to reactions to medications and at this stage it is almost impossible to predict how one will react, even within the same family. Currently, the only method we have to determine the best medication for any given individual is trial and error, which is why it's so important to have a good working relationship with your physician - and why it's important to let your doctor know how you are reacting to any medications, both positive and negative (collaborative medicine) .

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.