More threads by pixie

pixie

I am in the midst of trying to make a decision about my meds. I know that I have hypothryoidism but haven't been able to tolerate the thryoid medications apparently because of my low ferritin, low B12. I was on Pristiq and went off of it. My depression is really bad again. The Dr' told me that I probably need to be back on antidepressants while getting these other things sorted out. My husband and my mother both felt that my mood was better on the Pristiq.

Coming off the Pristiq was rough, but I am starting to feel this is what I need to do.

I can't tolerate drugs like Paxil, Prozac, as they make me more depressed and have huge weight loss.
Wellbrutrin helped for a few weeks but caused agitation.
The nortprlyine worked for a few years and has lost it's effect.
Is there a difference in the drugs nortripline, effexor as opposed to Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft??

And, I understand Pristiq is the same drug as Effexor ?

Would anyone know ?

Jazzey

Account Closed
I'm not knowledgeable on the medications to be able to answer your questions Pixie. But I didn't want to let your thread go without telling you that we're here to support you.

My best friend also has problems with her thyroid. She's been 'adjusting' the dosage now for over 5 years. There have been times that I've told her that I thought she needed an anti-depressant. Thyroid problems can really wreak havoc with emotions, fatigue and physical symptoms such as constantly being cold / hungry etc...For her - she can lay in bed for days, depressed, and think that she has to do this because of her thyroid problems.

All this to say that I'm happy to hear that you're open to exploring anti-depressants until you can resolve your thyroid problems.

Please feel free to lean on us on PL to support you during this time. And I'm confident that someone with more knowledge can answer your questions about medications. :)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
And, I understand Pristiq is the same drug as Effexor ?
It's similar:

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/prescrip...q-new-antidepressant-medication-approved.html

Is there a difference in the drugs nortripline, effexor as opposed to Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft??
Yes, some of those are different classes of antidepressants, with nortriptyline being a tricyclic antidepressant and Effexor being a SRNI. And though Prozac, Paxil, and Zoloft are in the same class (SSRI), they can have different effects for the same person.

The similarity between nortriptyline and Effexor/Pristiq is that they work on norepinephrine, unlike a SSRI.

I can't tolerate drugs like Paxil, Prozac, as they make me more depressed and have huge weight loss.
There are newer SSRIs that generally have lower side effects, e.g. Lexapro.

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.