More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Declutter Your Life
Marks Psychiatry
Monday, October 19, 2009

Clutter is the curse of the disorganized. You can recognize disorganized people (or perhaps yourself) by the sea of papers and reports that flood their desks and the piles of ?stuff? stacked in their offices. If you are drowning in a sea of clutter, there?s a good chance you need help getting organized.

At the root of a cluttered life is failure to create a system for decision making and task completion. The organizationally challenged tend to defer decisions which interferes with task completion. Disposing of an object, whether a report, correspondence, mail or bill, requires making decisions about what action to take and how to dispose of the item ? whether to store, not store or pass it along. Without systems for automating and handling these tasks, decisions must be made on a case-by-case basis. Sheer volume eventually overwhelms a person?s ability to keep up and clutter starts to pile up.

As clutter builds, it serves as a constant reminder of uncompleted tasks which increases anxiety which makes decision making more difficult which leads to more clutter which ? You get the idea. Disorganization feeds on itself in a vicious circle!

Have you ever noticed that when events in your life become overwhelming, clutter seems to pile up, even in the lives of generally organized people? A cluttered office or home can be the sign of a cluttered mind. When your mind becomes overwhelmed by extraordinary or unexpected events or simply from trying to juggle too many activities or responsibilities, you feel overwhelmed. You may lose focus or have trouble concentrating. Your mind is filled with ?clutter.? All the ?to dos? and ?what ifs? are interfering with your ability to deal with life and take action.

Efficient decision making and task completion require systems that allow us to follow pre-determined patterns when dealing with similar items. You can learn to organize the ?things? in your life; but if your efforts at organization always seem to fail, it can be a sign of a disorganized mental state. You may need the help of an experienced psychiatrist to unravel the cause and develop useful systems for handling stressful problems.

If clutter is burying you, Dr. Marks? podcast How to Get Organized can show you how to sweep away the clutter and get organized. And if you need more, Dr. Marks can help.

Banned

Banned
This is a good article. My kitchen counter has two piles on them, both literally a foot high, of all my mail from probably the past year. I'm past the point of even wanting to open any of it, most of it is irrelevant now, and if I open it I'll have to sort it which will take more energy than I have. So every day whatever new mail I get goes on the pile, and the cycle continues.

Good article.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Why not start by opening the new mail when it arrives, and then whenever you have a moment just start picking one or two pieces of old mail off the top?

Before you know it, no piles. :)

Banned

Banned
My mom was going through it all for me for awhile, but even she gave up. I've been really motivated the last few days to get things done though, so maybe that'll be my project this week...as long as my motivation stays where it is. :rolleyes:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Regarding the causes of cluttering, one thing that has been an issue for me:

“So many of the things that create clutter are things you meant to do, but never got around to,” Morgenstern says. “We tend to keep that stuff to stave off disappointment in ourselves.” Better: Admit that you dropped the ball, toss the old stuff and move on.

Home Organization Tips at WomansDay.com

Banned

Banned
I'm just lazy. I don't know if that's the same thing.

But, like I said, the last few days my motivation level has been much higher than normal, and I've gotten alot of stuff done that I'd been putting off...if I can keep this momentum I just might get to that stack of mail yet.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Toss it if…

1. You have twice as many as you need.
2. It's a gift you don't love.
3. It's not worth repairing.
4. Your gut says lose it.
Don't second-guess your instincts. "A lot of people worry they'll have regrets," says life coach Gail Blanke, author of Throw Out Fifty Things. "They're afraid that one day they'll need that exact thing. But 99 percent of the time you just don't."
5. You don't know what it is.

Excerpted from: Get Your Trashbags Ready! Keep It or Toss It? - MSN Lifestyle

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.