More threads by Retired

Retired

Patients with depression may have treatment misperceptions
Some patients with depression may not seek medical help or may be opposed to treatment.1 Among the reasons for this reluctance to receive treatment are misperceptions or concerns about the treatment itself, including the belief that treatment will not help. 1 It is important, therefore, not only to develop and implement a treatment plan, but also to provide information to the patient and set appropriate expectations.2,3

When treating depression, it may be helpful to discuss specific aspects of therapy, including both the acute phase and the maintenance phase, safety and tolerability considerations, available patient education and support, and cost concerns.4

What has been your experience when you first noticed your mood was not right, and felt you needed medical help. What were your expectations in receiving treatment? When the doctor initiated treatment, were you confident about receiving relief from your depression?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Lilly (Industry)
References
1.Blumenthal R, Endicott J. Barriers to seeking treatment for major depression. Depress Anxiety. 1996/1997;4:273-278.
2.Dorr Goold S, Lipkin M. The doctor-patient relationship. Challenges, opportunities, and strategies. J Gen Intern Med. 1999;14(S1):S26-S33.
3.Sonnenberg SM, Sutton L, Ursano RJ. Chapter 3: Physician-patient relationship. In: Tasman A, Kay J, Lieberman JA , eds. Psychiatry, Volume 1. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders Co.;1997:40-49.
4.Practice Guidelines for the Treatment of Patients With Major Depressive Disorder. 2nd ed. American Psychiatric Association; Arlington, VA. 2000.

I think I've always pretty much been messed up. I can remember having OCD symptoms in elementary school. I was hospitalized for severe anorexia when I was 17 and the doctors wanted to put me on medication and my parents were against it. I was hospitalized 2 years later and I took Elavil while I was there, but when I was released I wasn't able to keep filling the prescription. And it's kind of gone on and one from there with various hospitalizations and different medications and now counseling.

I have never really had high expectations for feeling better. Well maybe recently. I don't know.

I found it was hard to start the medication because my mind kept fighting the idea it was necessary I felt the medication was taking control It took along time for my psychologist to get my mind to change to see things in a different way so i was able to accept the therapy Again the side effects were difficult as the medication helped one symptom anxiety but the sadness became worse. I understand now why but it was frightening for awhile. I think now my sadness is becoming less as the medication continues to level out. As for the expectation of the medication working i think if your mind is working with the medication there will be better benefits but if your mind is against using it the benefits will be less. Hope i make sense

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.