More threads by defect

defect

Today I have an appointment with a psychiatrist to discuss my medications. I'm currently taking 300mg of Wellbutrin XL and 60mg of Dexedrine Spansule per day, as part of my treatment for major depressive disorder, anxiety, and attention deficit. I have been at this dose for a few years now. I know that both meds are not as effective as they once were, and I've tried weening down off of the dexedrine several times now, with no success.

While the dexedrine does help somewhat, I tend to manipulate the doses, (take all 4 15mg pills at once instead of 4 times a day) or sometimes even take more than prescribed if I actually need to remain awake all day. I have tried weening off of it because it's clearly not the correct medication for me. My doctor knows that I do this. He wants the psychiatrist to decide. I'm unsure about the effects of the wellbutrin, I do know I'm not managing my depression and anxiety AT ALL and feel scared to explore the reality of how I'm feeling emotionally, because I know that this is possibly the most hopeless I've ever felt in my life and I no longer trust myself so I have been avoiding my feelings as much as possible lately and I know that can't last much longer.

My concern is that the last two times I've seen this psychiatrist (I have seen him a total of two times over two years), he wants to reduce the dexedrine to 10mg per day and add on some prozac. I tried prozac about 15 years ago (wow) and my summary of that experience was the repeating thought I had in my head which was, "I have no thoughts, I have no thoughts, I have no thoughts..." This has been his recommendation both times I have seen him. I would like to be able to suggest a change off the dexedrine to something more suitable, and ideally, if I could actually manage to have a complete thought from beginning to end, then maybe the need to add meds for depression wouldn't be necessary, but I don't know. I do know that decreasing the dexedrine is the equivalent to turning the dim light off and locking the doors, I just don't know what information I could take with me to this appointment to maybe have a shot at some real change in my "treatment" or lack there-of.

Even writing this feels all over the place and I don't know if I wrote everything I wanted to, or even what I'm trying to ask anymore.

Do any of you have any suggestions on a replacement for dexedrine?

Retired

he wants to reduce the dexedrine to 10mg per day and add on some prozac. I tried prozac about 15 years ago (wow) and my summary of that experience was the repeating thought I had in my head

You need to tell this to the doctor so the doctor can determine what medication combination is right for you. That determination can only be made by your own doctor who knows your medical history, your symptoms, your diagnosis and your treatment options.

Do any of you have any suggestions on a replacement for dexedrine?

Your doctor is the one to whom that question should be addressed, for the same reasons as mentioned.

The interesting thing about SSRI's like Prozac, is that although you may not have done well with a particular compound in the past, it does not predict your experience with the same compound in the future.

In any case, if you do not tolerate Prozac, there are many other options in SSRI / SNRI compounds for your doctor to consider, so you need to rely on your doctors clinical judgement.

defect

Just back from the appointment now, he prescribed Zoloft on top of what I am already taking and if that's helpful, then he'll look at adjusting the other meds. It became apparent right away that the main concern right now is getting my depression under some control, and he didn't seem concerned with reducing the Dexedrine at this time and I am okay with that as long as the adjustments are one thing at a time. I think that was the panic in previous appointments, I just don't want to continue tinkering in my noggin. I've done enough of that to myself! Wish me luck!

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Best wishes D - So sorry to hear that it has been such a low time for you. Really hope that some relief and change comes to you soon. xx

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.