More threads by Misha

Misha

I was once diagnosed as DID by a therapist who believed DID to be a "gift from God" in allowing ourselves the freedom to basically reduce our problems. This man did not encourage integration.... rather he would encourage patients to dissociate. I was at a very suggestible place when I went to see him and began to dissociate at his encouragement. He would take one of my "issues," encourage me to identify a name for myself, associate that identity with a stuffed animal, and attack things one at a time.
In dealing with this dissociation after leaving this situation it was described to me that DID can be, but is not exclusively, a therapist-induced disorder. It was explained to me that like water, the mind will take the path of least resistence and that one would dissociate at the suggestion of having only one issue to deal with.
One of my best friends saw this same therapist and later left his care. She went from identifying 21 distinct personalities to "integration" almost immediately as she recognized what had occurred.
One indicator of the error of this method was the lack of symptoms such as losing time, etc. in the patients life before seeing this therapist.
Does anyone else have experience/knowledge about this issue? I have done some research and because of my personal experience am very interested in learning more.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That has long been a criticism of case studies of "multiple personality", much as with the "recovered memories" versus "false memory syndrome" issue.

To my mind, encouraging this sort of thing in the way that you describe is seriously unethical, at best.

just4U

I would agree with you, David, that this type of so-called therapy is not only unethical but, in my humble opinion, dangerous to the client.

This type of forced dissociative behavior is used, very successfully unfortunately, in brain washing. The victims of this type of brain washing need therapeutic intervention and care to re-integrate and sort out the mass of confusing, contradictory, thoughts and feelings.

Anyone who has had close association with a true 'multiple personality' or DID would probably instantly recognize that it is not the real thing but a manufactured process, so to speak. Like you pointed out, the other facets and manifestations of true DID just won't be there.

just4U

I have a diagnosis of PTSD but also dissociate. I had a doctor tell me once that he thought I had DID, and I frankly never went back to him. I don't "lose time" although I do dissociate and have problems with being able to guage when I am going to be "triggered" into doing so. I agree with you that one has to be careful in not being coerced into thinking that symptoms are more (or less) than they really are....

just4U

Hi, Texasgirl,

Thanks for sharing your views and experience.

Most people hear DID or 'multiple personality' and that's all they think there is to it. Actually, DID can incorporate a fairly wide variety of manifestations.

Take care,

just4U

you're welcome. it really helps when you can share - makes you feel like you're not alone in the experience which is half the battle!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.