More threads by stargazer

stargazer

I might have posted something like this somewhere here before, though I don't know where. It's been a periodic but ongoing issue ever since I've been taking the meds (past two years), without Kaiser insurance, but on Medicare and Medi-Cal, and amid other unusual conditions.

Once again, I have reached the place where I can't readily get the meds. This time (as is often the case), it was entirely my mistake. Because the doctor had written me two refills, I was certain I had another refill. But the bottle does not say so. Of course it is Christmas Day today, but tomorrow I will first go to the pharmacy, as I had planned to do, since I will run out of the meds tonight.

I'll ask them if it is they who made the error, and maybe they can call the doctor from the pharmacy. But I am wondering how long it will take for me to get to the doctor and get a prescription. If it's longer than four or five days, I will start to become distemperate.

I wonder why they make it so hard for people in my position to get medication anyway. I don't even have a psychiatrist, you know. I had to find a primary care physician who would dispense the medications, and even that was a difficulty. Fortunately, I eventually found a community medical group who accepted MediCare, and I have a doctor there whom I like.

When I first saw that the bottle said "Zero Refills" the very day before I had been planning to get my refill, I began to catastrophize. Now all the guests are showing up for Christmas, so I need to "come down" and keep it together.

It's hard not to expect the worst, because of previous negative events that occurred when I was unable to obtain the meds. A lot of it is my problem. Obviously I need to be a lot more circumspect. But in the meantime, I've got an immediate problem to solve, which is how to get the next refill.

I'll let you know how it turns out. But I tell you - now that I work from my laptop and am on disability anyway, I'm almost tempted to find a different city to move to, because in this whole County, there are no psychiatrists who take "MediCare with Medi-Cal." I've fallen through the cracks of the system.

Take that back - my therapist told me of a Dr. Smith who has decided to take such patients. Betcha anything he's booked for the next year or two.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
stargazer said:
I'm almost tempted to find a different city to move to, because in this whole County, there are no psychiatrists who take "MediCare with Medi-Cal." I've fallen through the cracks of the system.

Yeah, regarding your long-term problem, I now see what you are talking about:
If you choose Original Medicare and fee-for-service Medi-Cal, make sure your doctor or hospital accepts Medi-Cal as well as Medicare.

Medi-Cal (for People with Medicare) | California Health Advocates

I thought maybe a Medigap or Medicare Advantage policy could be a good idea. But the monthly premium payments look potentially prohibitive, even if psychiatry services are extended under those plans. There are some zero-deductible plans in some areas, but at least some of them don't seem to have any psychiatrists for some areas, and, even if they do, the co-payment cost may actually be more. And it seems Medi-Cal won't pay for Medicare Advantage or Medigap monthly premiums:

The Health Insurance Premium Payment (HIPP) program may pay premiums for private health coverage (including Medigap policies, although this is rare) for people who are on Medi-Cal.

Medi-Cal (for People with Medicare) | California Health Advocates
Medicare Premium Payment

So, anyway, I see why you are considering moving. The only other thing I can think of is securing public/private transportation to a more distant psychiatrist that accepts Medi-Cal.

Last edited:
Hi Stargazer ,
Gosh it is complicated for you to have your meds , is there not a hot line which can advise you were to go in an emergency situation such as this , a medical center , where a doc can prescribe your meds for you .
You can't do anything about it until tomorrow , so calm down and recieve your guests , a solution will be found , and you don't have to be without your meds .
I am sorry that I don't know what all the options that are available in your part of the world . maybe other members know more and could be more helpful .

take care and do a couple of deep breathing sessions to keep calm .
wp

Last edited:

stargazer

I think I have failed to communicate the nature of the problem. It's not in the coverage - it's in obtaining the prescription; that is, getting a doctor to write me the script in the first place.

stargazer added 2 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

Oh, I think I mis-interpreted the replies (that's what I get for skimming.) Let me respond once I collect my thoughts. I'm pre-occupied at the moment, and probably ought not to be checking e-mail. I'll be back later on. Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited:
stargazer, my pharmacist has done a single refill of my medications when i realized i needed a new prescription from my doctor but that it would also be a week before i got it from him. they told me they would do one refill but no more after that without the prescription. they did this because obviously a break from the medication could have adverse effects on me.

based on this i would think you should be able to ask the pharmacy for a one time only refill to tide you over until you can see a doctor again.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
maybe they can call the doctor from the pharmacy.

Yes, definitely, and pharmacies call doctors' offices all the time and vice versa. However, I would recommend calling the pharmacy instead, assuming that will save you some time.

If it was the pharmacy's mistake in recording the prescription, the nurse or even the office staff at your doctor's office would simply confirm to the pharmacy you were to get 2 refills. (At least at the doctor's office I clerked at, every prescription was recorded one way or another as part of the patient's record.) Even if there is no record anywhere of this, as long as your doctor remembers or agrees you should have gotten 2 refills, you are still fine without needing to wait for an appointment or having to be squeezed in.

Otherwise, if you find out from the pharmacy that you have, by their records, already gotten your 2 refills, then I would want to call the doctor's office ASAP to beat the morning rush of appointment making after the holiday, which is why I recommend calling the pharmacy rather than spending the time to go to the pharmacy in person. If there is a doctor's appointment available in the next few days or so, I suggest making the appointment since you can always cancel it later.

Last edited:

stargazer

Briefly, I have realized what the problem was. Two months ago, my primary care physician, Dr. M, wrote 3 months worth of meds for me.

At some point, I went to the hospital, where the psychiatrist at the hospital, Dr. G., wrote a single month's worth of meds (unnecessarily) and had them phoned in to my pharmacy.

One month ago, when I went to get the second refill from Dr. M., the clerk at the pharmacy gave me the single month supply from Dr. G. instead, since both of them were there.

Only tonight have I looked at the doctor's name on the bottle. This explains everything.

Not sure if it solves the problem, although I am sure there should be two refills from Dr. M. remaining at the pharmacy. Sometimes if you don't pick up a refill on time, they have to call the doctor, or have me go back to the doctor.

But at least I now know what caused the foul-up. So I'm optimistic as to a soon solution. I'll go to the pharmacy tomorrow.

stargazer

Good news: I called the pharmacy, and after I explained what had happened, they ran a check to see if there were any rejections. When they came back to the phone, they said that yes, I still had two refills from Dr. M., and I could pick them up after two in the afternoon.

Ironically, I was not only able to obtain a single months worth of the meds (which would have been the case had they not made the error), but now I will have had four months worth instead of three months worth, once this current round is over. Good fortune!

Also, two months is a very healthy amount of time for me to make sure I get another appointment with my primary care physician. So it's all good. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.