More threads by BluMac81

BluMac81

I know there is a technical term for this, but lately, well, ever since I started Prozac (and now stopped for the last 4 days), I experience this odd dizziness when I wake up in the night (just normal wakeups like bathroom, etc), the dizziness just occurs when I am trying to fall back asleep. This has only occured over the past month and started when I started on Prozac. I take Lunesta for sleep as I have been for the past few years but it hasn't had any side effect like that. Just worries me a little is all. Any info on this?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
From what I have read, it may help if you rise from bed slowly, but you may be doing that already:

Dizziness is more common with tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs). These medications can cause low blood pressure, resulting in dizziness. This side effect is more common in older people.

Coping strategies

* Rise slowly from sitting or standing positions.
* Use handrails, canes or other sturdy items for support.
* Avoid driving or operating machinery.
* Avoid caffeine, tobacco and alcohol.
* Drink plenty of fluids.
* Take medication at bedtime.

Antidepressants: Get tips to cope with side effects - Psychlinks
As always, of course, your best bet is to call your doctor or pharmacist. I would think the dizziness may be due to the Xanax you are currently on.

Last edited:

BluMac81

Hmm, well it's not dizziness when I get up, but when I lie down and close my eyes. Kind of like that "drunk dizziness", you know when you are drunk and trying to sleep but every time you try to you're too dizzy lol. I guess it could be the Xanax, but I was on 6mg/day Xanax for months before this and never had experienced that. Just weird is all.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
:hithere: BluMac. Did you discontinue the Prozac because of the symptoms you were having?

Although out of all the anti-depressants I have tried, Prozac seemed to be the easiest to withdraw from, it still has some withdraw effects though and should be taken as prescribed for the best results. Could it be withdrawl from your previous medication still?

I had a good run with Prozac, it was quite good for a long time for me. I was on it for about 6 years before it stopped working.

Sorry I just went off topic. :blush:

Do you have anxiety as well BluMac if you don't mind me asking?

Is it possable that the Prozac is not fully working as of yet? and your body is feeling anxious upon waking? The reason I say this, is I have a very hard time upon waking as well and I also get dizzy, but I also have severe anxiety sensations with the dizzyness, if that makes sense.

I am sorry if all that is confusing. What I am meaning is depending on the medication, you may have had to been off all meds for probably a week before starting Prozac and your body had nothing for that time.

Then there is the three weeks before Prozac becomes fully affective.

So in essence, nothing eleviating the anxiety symptoms, until when the Prozac kicks in.

Gosh I am sorry, I know what I want to say, but the words are not right. I apologize if this is all a garbled mess. I hope you can understand what I am trying to say. :blush:

I would suggest seeing your doctor just to be safe though.

Retired

ever since I started Prozac

1) When did you actually begin this last course of therapy with Prozac, and when was the last dosage modification?

My initial thought was along the same lines as Daniel's, which is postural hypotension. When suddenly standing up from a resting position while taking certain medications which affect certain physiological functions such as beta receptors, or certain neurotransmitters, a drop in blood pressure occurs causing temporary dizziness.

Another explanation may be related to my first question which we can examen with your answer to the question. It has to do with the way Prozac is absorbed, accumulated and metabolized in the body.

=NicNak said:
Did you discontinue the Prozac because of the symptoms you were having?

I wondered the same thing.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.