More threads by WS

WS

I read your other post, which mentions that some people believe that psychopathy is biologically determined (I read similar things about brain chemistry, etc.). Do you believe this?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
First, unlike Robert Hare, I believe that psychopathy is a continuum or dimension rather than a discrete category, but it is at the point where one reaches the extreme of that dimension that most people would agree the individual is a "classic psychopath" or "primary psychopath" -- i.e., an individual who basically meets ALL of the esential criteria (actually, I believe this is true for other disorders, like obsessive-compulsive disorder too).

Second, as with most things, I don't think this is "nature" or "nurture" entirely: I think that what is inherited/innate/genetically determined is a predisposition or vulnerability. Whether the full expression of that genetic predisposition is expressed in the individual depends on his or her unique developmental history. There are certain factors (like inconsistent childrearing practices which retard the learning of empathy, cause-effect reasoning, and avoidance learning) which increase the likelihood that those factors will become evident in the individual and it is possible there are others that inhibit that process.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
For many traits, there is always the rough estimate of 50% heredity and 50% environment.

Rev.Joe

I know that I said that I woundn't reply to anything BUT!

Hi David
You said that you believe Obsessive-Compulsive disorder people are Psychopath's...Is this true are am I reading this wrong? I would also like to ask something if its o.k with you? Here it is: I blackout alot and it seems when I'm in a blackout I do Stupit thing's that I won't get into here.
But after my blackout's I don't seem to remember anything that I've done in my blackout state...And when I do blackout My wife said that I'm out for day's NOT hours or anything like that. And for the like of me I don't know why or how they are triggered...I do know that people that seen me in blackout's say that I do very damageing thing's to myself like hitting myself and other unhealthy behaviors. Even eatting glass afew time's. Why I do this is bazarre even for me. I always seen thing's MOSTLY in shadow form's with voice's and touch but I mostly remember them BUT not in blackout's. I even hesitate going outside in the real world because it happen's so much...The real world isn't real to me at all. And why don't I have any feeling's about the thing's that I did do in my blackout's. It seem's like I just don't care what I do in blackout's. I even Smile and make Joke's out of the thing's that I do in them at time's...Seeing thing's and hearing things and touching things is as normal to me as going to the restroom. I know that its crazy-but it is becoming an issue that's becoming a pain in the butt. Like I said I know that I said that I won't write on here But I just had to ask. Thank's for your time."

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
RevJoe said:
You said that you believe Obsessive-Compulsive disorder people are Psychopath's...Is this true are am I reading this wrong?
No... what I said was that I believe that both OCD and psychopathy are best understood as dimensions... continua... rather than discrete categories. They are definotely not the same thing at all.

blackout alot and it seems when I'm in a blackout I do Stupit thing's that I won't get into here.
But after my blackout's I don't seem to remember anything that I've done in my blackout state...And when I do blackout My wife said that I'm out for day's NOT hours or anything like that. And for the like of me I don't know why or how they are triggered...I do know that people that seen me in blackout's say that I do very damageing thing's to myself
It's not usually wise to try to diagnose at a distance but it sounds rather like a dissociate episode to me. Are you taking any medications currently and/or seeing a therapist?

And I really don't want you to feel that you can't post, Joe. I just asked you to be careful about certain details.

Mrs. King

David Baxter said:
I believe that psychopathy is a continuum or dimension rather than a discrete category

That is very interesting. Rather like the world cannot be divided into separate subjects such as maths, history and philosophy, because these all run into each other eventually. Do you suppose this might be why people can have more than one disorder at a time? Rather than a whole heap of things going wrong with the brain, 'multiple' mental illness begins with one illness which goes undiagnosed and then had a kind of 'bleeding' effect. Some illnesses may progress out of others. Do you think that may be true?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Yes. Or alternatively that one begins life with a certain temperament and physiology that makes you vulnerable to certain stresses, or to reacting to stressors in a certain way, just as one person may have "weak lungs" and another may have a "weak digestive system" or a "weak heart".

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.