More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
1663035795990.jpg

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Ginger is responsible for the titular tang of this veggie wrap, and may help to aid digestion.

For the dressing:​

• Peel the ginger and grate it into a bowl. Add the cottage cheese, sour cream (or your vegan substitute), lemon zest and mustard and mix it well.
  • Spread the dressing mixture onto the wraps, stopping about 1cm from the edge. Lay out the spinach leaves on top.
  • Put the carrots, bell pepper, onions and bean sprouts in a wide line down the middle and sprinkle the roasted sunflower seeds on top.
  • Season with a dash of salt and pepper and fold the wraps a little on both sides, then at the bottom and roll it as tightly as possible (without squishing the insides out!).
  • Cut the wraps into halves and serve. Enjoy!

1663127762556.jpg

1663127629266.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
My favorite hack of late is to squeeze lime juice on almost anything (from iced tea to sandwiches) to make it taste special. I got the idea from Mexican restaurants.

Since I am not sodium sensitive, I will usually just buy a bottle of dressing and then add to it.

1663162767093.jpg
:D

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
All these cafes, fast casuals, pubs, and Italian restaurants in Arizona catering to vegetarians, but Dunkin' Donuts is offering perfection for $4 and change:

1663251434463.jpg

This is one case where the hype is true. I just tried it yesterday. This tastes better than any sandwich I have had in recent memory, even compared to paninis at Italian restaurants.

I have made pesto sandwiches at home, but Dunkin' was way better since it has more cheese and the tomatoes are roasted, tasting as good or better than sun-dried.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Here’s Why You’ll Love These Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars​

• All the texture of traditional cheesecake, but easier and quicker
  • Extra creamy, extra thick
  • Tangy-sweet flavor with loads of blueberries
  • The cheesecake version of popular lemon blueberry cake
  • Grab & go⁠—no fork needed!
1663473842346.jpg

The bars stay fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can freeze the bars for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Breakfast in the Philippines is built on sinangag, or cooked rice tossed with garlic and oil. For us, the smell of sinangag cooking is better than waking up to the aroma of coffee. This recipe may garner some raised eyebrows from knowledgeable Filipino cooks because we don’t use leftover rice to make it and we don’t use a rice cooker. Instead, we cook the rice in a pot on the stove over very low heat. The rice kernels stay intact and even a bit dry—much like day-old rice—and thus they hold up to the additions of garlic chips and homemade garlic oil, which make the rice more robust and flavorful.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Mac & Cheese
-3996580-macncheese-christopher-testani-1488821556.jpg

Mac and cheese is made richer with squash, not cream. (Check out more smart ingredient swaps here.)

SERVES: 8 / TOTAL TIME: 40 minutes
1 pkg (13.25 oz) whole grain pasta shells
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
½ onion, diced
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1½ cups 1% milk
4 oz Gruyère, shredded
4 oz reduced-fat cheddar, shredded
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen pureed squash, thawed (or follow these easy steps for prepping a butternut squash)
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp cayenne
½ c toasted bread crumbs

1. COOK pasta shells per package directions, drain, and set aside.
2. MELT butter in pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, 5 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, until bubbling, 30 seconds. Whisk in heated milk and cook until thick, 3 minutes. Stir in Gruyère, cheddar, frozen pureed squash, salt, and cayenne. Add pasta to pot; stir to coat.
3. SERVE topped with bread crumbs.
NUTRITION (per serving) 354 cal, 17 g pro, 47 g carb, 6 g fiber, 3 g sugars, 12 g fat, 6.5 g sat fat, 300 mg sodium

Tired of adding Greek yogurt to your blended drink? Try using cottage cheese instead, says Dashing Dish. When mixed with vanilla protein powder (we love Rodale's organic vanilla whey protein powder), bananas, crushed pineapple, and cocoa powder, your smoothie will taste like a banana split—that just so happens to serve up 35 g of protein.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
A popular maker of chickpea pasta is Banza, which is sold everywhere, including Walmart and Target. I tried Banza's Mac and cheese, which was pretty good. It was more filling while mostly similar to the taste and texture of Mac and cheese. (In Canada, the Banza brand is only available for purchase online.)

Pasta brands like Barilla and private labels make chickpea pasta as well. Barilla also makes pasta from red lentils, etc.

Recipes:

More info:

"The word 'processed' gets a bad rap," says Leslie Langevin, RD, author of The Anti-Inflammatory Kitchen Cookbook and co-owner of Whole Health Nutrition.

But processed simply means that a food is changed, prepared or packaged in a particular way prior to landing on your plate, according to the American Heart Association (AHA)...

Sometimes processing a food — like chickpeas — can create new ways to eat and enjoy it without sacrificing its nutrient profile. "Eating chickpeas in the shape of a pasta noodle both delivers the same nutrition as a chickpea in its whole form and in a fun way to eat for the whole family," Langevin says.

"Chickpea pasta is easy to incorporate in any dish that you might normally use pasta," Langevin says. Here are some simple ways to start cooking with the bean-based pasta:
  • Toss it with pesto, tomato or a light alfredo sauce
  • Add it to a tuna salad to create a terrific taste and texture combo
  • Use it as a base for pasta salad with a variety of veggies and an oil-and-vinegar dressing
  • Mix last night's leftovers into a breakfast frittata for an extra tidbit of texture and protein boost

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

When in doubt, add more vegetables.

This will make your pasta dish a touch lighter so you won’t feel super stuffed after you eat — especially if you’re also adding meat or seafood.

My pro tip: Double up on the veggie serving you’d normally have, and cut the pasta in half or by a third. You’ll keep the flavor, add extra fiber, and generally max out on nutritional quality without ever noticing the difference.

To get your veggies in, keep frozen, fresh, and canned versions of your favorites on-hand to add to any meal, any time. Sauté sides and add 'em to your plate, stir them into sauce, or mix chickpea pasta with with zoodles to bulk up the finished product.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
My brother-in-law from Alabama is visiting soon, so I will be posting more "redneck" / Southern / plant-based-meat-compatible recipes :D

Sausage-based breakfast recipes:

1663708541298.jpg

Trisha Yearwood’s Breakfast Sausage Casserole​

• Butter, for greasing
  • ½ loaf Sliced white loaf bread
  • 1 lb fresh bulk pork sausage with sage
  • 10 oz sharp Cheddar, grated
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 1 tsp dry mustard
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
1663708591696.jpg
1663708888420.jpg
1663708942502.jpg

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.