David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Eat Smart kale salad kit recalled due to possible Listeria contamination
CBC News
Feb 18, 2019

Canadian Food Inspection Agency says recall could become national

6:34 AM NT | Last Updated: an hour ago

cache.php

This 340-gram Eat Smart brand Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad Bag Kit, with a best before date of Feb. 16, has been recalled in N.L., N.B., and Ontario. (Canadian Food Inspection Agency)

A ready-to-eat salad kit has been recalled in Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick and Ontario due to possible Listeria contamination.

On Feb. 17, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency issued the recall for the 340-gram Eat Smart brand Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad Bag Kit.

Codes on the products being recalled have UPC 7 09351 89145 8 and best-before dates of Feb. 16.

Anyone with the product at home should throw it in the garbage, the CFIA says on its website.

The CFIA website said the distribution may also be national, but the recall notice as of early Monday morning lists just the three provinces.

CFIA's food safety investigation is ongoing, and may lead to other recalls, according to the website.
According to the website, there have been no reported illnesses connected with eating this product.

Symptoms of Listeria can include vomiting, nausea, persistent fever, muscle aches, severe headache and neck stiffness.

Food contaminated with Listeria may not look or smell spoiled, but can still make you sick.

Pregnant women infected with the bacteria may experience only mild, flu-like symptoms, but the infection could lead to premature delivery, infection of the newborn or stillbirth, CFIA says on its website.

GaryQ

MVP
Hmmmm…. With all these "healthy" food recalls I'm starting to think that eating smart ain't that smart after all :facepalm:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Well, Eat Smart is just the short name for that brand. The full name is, "Eat Smart, Get Sick", but the advertising department was worried that wouldn't sell well.

GaryQ

MVP
Well, due to the popularity of the grilled lettuce recipe I posted earlier, here you go:

Recipe: Savory Kale and Sundried Tomato-Basil Donuts

WARNING: Using a waterpik to pressure wash your brain via your ears can lead to permanent brain damage and to these kinds of posts :facepalm:

If your food makes your farm animals salivate and your other half cry that's not a good sign of culinary deliciousness for omnivore bipeds with a "penchant" towards the carnivorous side of the buffet :coffee:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
That does look good. Put in some carrots, onions, and potatoes, and it will be worth heating the house in the summer.

GaryQ

MVP
That reminds me, I found a roast cauliflower recipe that I think you'd all enjoy. :D
(I'm actually thinking of trying this once the weather cools down to make it acceptable to have the oven on for over an hour.)

Just crank up the air conditioner for an hour before turning on oven or cook it at the coolest time of day

P.S. So much for a serious thread about a Kale health warning = Kale bad for you. Heart attack warning when you see the price if it too :facepalm:

Just crank up the air conditioner for an hour before turning on oven or cook it at the coolest time of day

And disturb Lucy the lizard while using twice the electricity? I think not! ;)
But yeah nah it's just not worth doing long hot oven dishes at any frequency in Feb. I could manage the timing and all that, but for anything other than pizza or fish and chips I just choose not to.

There's not even that much kale in the bag. I'm more disturbed by the brussel sprouts. :sour:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I have seasonal shopping lists for groceries, one for cold weather and one for hot weather. In hot weather, virtually everything switches to microwave or stove top preparable dishes - and even some of those change.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Of course, Greg and I are summer-ready with our Instant Pots -- all the benefits of a slow cooker without the slowness.

GaryQ

MVP
Hehe after a year I figured out how the multi quote thing works. Not that I ever tried to figure it out :)

Of course, Greg and I are summer-ready with our Instant Pots -- all the benefits of a slow cooker without the slowness.
And it bakes cakes too!
I haven't used mine since the first test with the eggs but I'll be using the sterilize option for my amber glass bottles that I use for my e-juice bases and mixes. My Friday orders are waiting to be picked up at Post office.

And disturb Lucy the lizard
So forgetful of me :facepalm:Wouldn't want to disturb your uninvited squatter. Which leads me to think if she's still there and alive there must be quite a few other little visitors showing up at your place for Lucy to feed on. Free 100% certified organic pest control! :up:

In hot weather, virtually everything switches to microwave or stove top preparable dishes - and even some of those change.

Sandwiches. Great for those days when the temperature is too hot or when you're not too hot on the idea of putting more effort into coking than eating.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
It does take time to make the most out of the Instant Pot, especially when you have to convert your moose and maple recipes for pressurized cooking :D

Since it is still colder than usual here, I am hoping to make poutine for my husband soon. They sell cheese curds here at a grocery store called Sprouts (a grocery chain owned by Albertsons that is a cheaper, less ridiculous version of Whole Foods that attracts a lot of customers with their produce deals.)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.