More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
But ECT is not a treatment for bipolar disorder and I don't kn ow of any evidence that would suggest it as having any long-term effect on bipolar disorder. It is primarily a treatment of last resort for serious treatment-resistant depression. It might help you to recover from a depressive episode but there's no reason to assume it would eliminate the need for a mood stabilizer like lithium.

Some retrograde amnesia is inevitable. But as one client told me, even that was a relief because he was no longer obsessing about his perceived inadequacies and sins.

I had wondered if it was a treatment for OCD because of this statement, but now I that I reread what you wrote I think he just couldn't remember these things?

I am beginning to just accept that medication, or a combination of medications and maybe long-term therapy are going to be the only way to combat the OCD. Hard to accept, but true.

Sorry I took this off-topic.

attical

ECT has potentially permanent negative side effects. As an rTMS recipient, I have never even had a headache. ECT is the last resort. rTMS works for some, but not everyone, but I'd suggest you try it before considering ECT.

Miette

But ECT is not a treatment for bipolar disorder and I don't kn ow of any evidence that would suggest it as having any long-term effect on bipolar disorder. It is primarily a treatment of last resort for serious treatment-resistant depression. It might help you to recover from a depressive episode but there's no reason to assume it would eliminate the need for a mood stabilizer like lithium.

I guess I was thinking of this person, Andy Behrman, who has been very open about his struggles with bipolar mania and how ECT helped him:

http://www.electroboy.com

Upon reading the interview section of his website, however, I realized that he is also taking lithium, so you are correct on that one. The info I saw about him made it sound like he didn't need medication after the ECT, whereas in the interviews, he says he needs the medication. Anyways, he sounds interesting so I've ordered his book and I'll read more about it!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.