More threads by Jolie

Jolie

I have struggled with purging for years but have always seemed to just "get over it" and stop when I felt it was getting out of control. I rid myself of all normal meals, I rarely binge. I have found that my thoughts have become almost obsessive where I will eat anything and have the urge to purge. I have never been able to confide in anyone of this situation as I have always been able to keep it under control, but I feel out of control now. I know the best thing to do would be to confide in my therapist or psychiatrist that this is happening but I do not look as though I make myself vomit. It is not something visible, i do it in secret. I would like to know what anyone else have done to overcome the thoughts after each meal? OR what helped you stop the cycle.. Thank you..

Jolie

Easier said than done. I have written here my issue for which I have never said aloud to a living soul. I find secret ways to hide my shame and ensure that it does not become public knowledge. I am so ashmed by my actions and embarrassed by what I do. If it were as easy as to just say I'm bulimic I would do it, but I feel I have other more pressing matters to deal with that to add this on might over shadow the things that I am currently trying to overcome. Thank you for your reply.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
but I feel I have other more pressing matters to deal with that to add this on might over shadow the things that I am currently trying to overcome

I wouldn't see it that way at all. Everything is related.

Some people find it less difficult to share the info by writing, like handing the therapist or doctor a note at the start of the session or sending her an e-mail.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

I am so ashmed by my actions and embarrassed by what I do.

Doing the opposite of what we feel like doing is often helpful. So telling your therapist in itself can be therapeutic.

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I think telling someone of what we are most shamed and embarassed about and then finding out you are not alone helps to get rid of some of the shame and embarassement.

TO me and I can only tell you in my experience, it does not get better on its own or by trying to pretend that it isnt a problem. Most people with this type of problem dont look like this is a problem either, I really think that is a myth. It probably starts out as something you do once in awhile but can quickly escalate into more than that. It is highly addictive. I am constantly fighting my own addicitve personality, it is not an easy road. This is a serious problem that can cause serious health issues, I know you have other issues you want to overcome, but this should probably go at the top of the list. It makes it hard to recover from any thing when you dont get adequate nutrition and hydration, it affects your mood and makes you more obsessive and this method really does not control your weight. I am not preaching at you, I would not wish this problem on anyone, I feel the shame of the choices I make in regards to my relationship with food on a regular basis. I have been fighting a lot of battles of my own in this regard adn I am not open about it either to other people but I am honest with myself about how serious this is and that does help.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.