More threads by stargazer

stargazer

Yes. I have similar (though not identical) experiences in the histories of my own friendships. Hard times test the waters, and fairweather friends make hasty departures then.

stargazer

Just to let you all know, she called about an hour ago, and we wound up talking for abour an hour. She seemed fine, and I'm sure she's a good friend. I think maybe the impact of having met me that weekend for coffee, rather than only talking on the phone as usual, had set her off. Our conversation definitely flowed much more easily over the phone this afternoon, and there was nothing strange or unusual about it.

ThatLady

stargazer said:
Just to let you all know, she called about an hour ago, and we wound up talking for abour an hour. She seemed fine, and I'm sure she's a good friend. I think maybe the impact of hainvg met me that weekend for coffee, rather than only talking on the phone as usual, had set her off. Our conversation definitely flowed much more easily over the phone this afternoon, and there was nothing strange or unusual about it.

That's good to hear, hon. I'm sure you feel much better about all this after talking to her again. If you can be a friend to her without sacrificing your own life and goals, that's a wonderful thing. :)

stargazer

Yeah. I had been worried that maybe she had rejected me, which had then brought about the additional worry that she might start hanging around the wrong people. Anyway, it's good that we talked.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
It is something that an adult daughter would not be interested in doing or be prepared to put up with, unless she was in a very vulnerable situation and under some kind of manipulation, fear, control, and twisted influencing.

W00BY

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
It is wrong there is an adult and a child (no matter the age) involved.... the adult in the relationship and parent in this case should be working on a moral framework for their child to work within and setting appropriate boundaries that all of society follow before you even get to the law and it's stance on the matter.

As for this being a woman who had this relationship with her father her main issue for the rest of her life will be trying to find a balanced view of herself and her fathers actions which is not easy.

Parents are who create us the first people we strive to please, impress, care about and look to for help and comfort and no matter what they have done the feelings and emotions that embed in us at an early age never go away.

Our mind will convince us that they love us even when all the evidence points to the exact opposite and we will hang on to even the most tenuous of happy memories and create an entire fantasy from them to protect ourselves from the truth.

I cannot even begin to imagine the amount of damage this situation has done to borders and appropriate sexual behavior I hope therapy gains some clarity for this woman and that she can cope.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.