More threads by NightOwl

NightOwl

I am asking this question from past experience as some medications seemed to work effectively at times but not at others - it seemed to depend on my psychological state at the time. I'm not on any prescription medication at the moment and I've managed to adjust my lifestyle around coping mechanisms, these include a move to a peaceful environment, good security, and using a cognitive approach whenever I struggle with the effects of PTSD.

NightOwl

braveheart

I understand what you mean. I get it more with sleeping tablets though. Maybe it's a PTSD thing, with the dissociation perhaps.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I don't think it's so much that they don't work sometimes and work at other times. I think it probably reflects more the severity of the symptoms.

For example, it's not unusual for the level of depression or anxiety to vary over the course of time, sometimes on a seasonal basis, sometimes according to how many external stressors you have in your life at the time, and sometimes with no obvious reason for the change. When your depression deepens or your anxiety increases, it may seem as if your medication isn't working as well when in fact it's just that there are more severe symptoms for the medication to try to manage.

NightOwl

Thank you for your replies.

BraveHeart, Sorry to hear you are having problems with sleeping meds not working at times. It can be so draining, trying to get some so-desperately needed sleep and not be able to. TC.

David, thank you, your answer makes a lot of sense. I've found myself in the past almost emotionally fighting my meds because I felt vulnerable if they knocked me out, and therefore I couldn't defend myself. I think the fight and flight emotion came into play and certainly at times of stress it was worse.

Halo - Thank you for your support and understanding.

NightOwl

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.