More threads by Marcel

I was wondering if what you eat/drink after taking medication can "melt" it faster than it would otherwise be released....ie if you drink hot coffee a few minutes after taking a pill, does the heat of the coffee dissolve the pill faster than otherwise would be the case? I know from experience (a mistake I will never repeat) that if you drink diet Coke right after taking an omega 3 fish pill supplement, that the acid from the Coke "melts" the omega 3 pill instantly and you get the immediate (horrible) after-taste of fish when normally this would not be the case. I am wondering if a similar thing happens with other pills. Thanks for any input you might have.

Retired

Some medications require they be taken with plain water, while with others it doesn't matter. With other medications their rate of absorption or amount of absorption can be adversely affected by certain foods or drinks, so it is important to ask the doctor and later verify with the pharmacist, how to take your prescribed medication. Most pharmacists, nowadays are pretty good with that kind of information, because their drug database warns them of potential drug / food interactions.

To your question, I don't believe a hot drink makes any difference, except if a particular medication requires plain water. As for the fishy aftertaste following a carbonated beverage, I would speculate the type of omega 3 product you are using in and of itself causes the fishy aftertaste, and is emphacised by the belch or burp caused by the carbonated beverage.

If you find the fishy aftertaste annoying, when buying your fish oil product, check the labels for products that state they have
no fishy aftertaste

From my own experience, I found the fish oil sold at Costco produced fishy aftertaste, while those sold under the Member's Mark brand at Sam's Club, and the CVS brand did not produce an aftertaste.

ps...I was reminded later the CVS brand has a fishy aftertaste

I have not had experience with products sold in Canada, but other members may have suggestions.

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.