More threads by CarlaMarie

CarlaMarie

I always hear negative feedback about Facebook, the computer, Internet and teenagers. I tend to look at the positives and what it can add to our lives. I have found with proper boundaries it can be another tool for communication. It is sometimes hard with parents and teenagers. Mine calls me a stalker. I consider myself an informed parent. Facebook has become a valuable form of communication. What is wrong with the written form of communication as long as it is backed up with spoken communication. I find this a reality of parenting in 2011.

Here is an example. My daughter was diagnosed with ADD in elementary school then she decided that wasn't the case anymore. She refused to discuss it. She denied the symptoms. She had learned skills and was managing schoolwork well I didnt see the need to press. This year it has been unravelling some. She refused to discuss it with me.
She took one of those Facebook Quizes called "confessions" she answered some very insightful questions about herself it revealed how she felt about some issues in her life. All of those issues could be directly related to her ADD. I believed what she said and thought it was true so I had a conversation with her about it.

It was way too funny. First she told me to quit stalking her. Then she said she just made up stuff. I said just in case you were telling the truth. I talked to her all about how her ADD affects her ability to focus and her self-exteme and what we can do about it. She said " just make me an appointment with the Dr." I told her I was so glad I found out.

She confessed to really loving her brother, too That was shocker to all of us. You would never know it. :lol:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.