More threads by adaptive1

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
You know I have come so far in the last few months and I truly appreciate all the help and support I have gotten. I have gone hard after alot of my compulsive behaviour and I have stopped it by replacing it with other activities that are more positive. I have even managed to stop things like compulsive eating and shopping which were never huge problems for me, but more like bad habits that were getting me into trouble and negative ways of dealing with stress.

But, just as I get one compulsive behaviour dealt with I am dealing with another, now I am finding I am spending way too much time on the internet, at least I am not reasearching one particular thing or obsessing about something, but I am wasting hours a day on it and into the night when I should be sleeping but I can't. Is it normal to bounce from one compulsive behaviour to the next? I guess I should disconnect my internet but I find this site and others useful. I guess the answer is to tackle this the same way I tackled other compulsions, it just feels like when this one is gone another stupid behaviour will be waiting for me.

Is the answer as simple as getting rid of the internet? How will I visit this site then or what will I do with my time to prevent more compulsive behaviour?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Is the answer as simple as getting rid of the internet? How will I visit this site then or what will I do with my time to prevent more compulsive behaviour?

Dr. Baxter, in a radio interview, says that one issue is that people will go on the Internet thinking they won't be on for long but they lose track of time. So it may be helpful to set a timer or something like that.

it just feels like when this one is gone another stupid behaviour will be waiting for me.

The one-day-at-a-time approach is usually helpful.

stargazer

I have found it helpful to keep a pad and pencil next to the computer with a list of things I intend to do while on the Internet, and cross them off as I get done with them. When I'm finished with the list, I leave the computer. I admit I don't always bother to do this, but when I do, it's what works for me.

ladylore

Account Closed
You know I have come so far in the last few months and I truly appreciate all the help and support I have gotten. I have gone hard after alot of my compulsive behaviour and I have stopped it by replacing it with other activities that are more positive. I have even managed to stop things like compulsive eating and shopping which were never huge problems for me, but more like bad habits that were getting me into trouble and negative ways of dealing with stress.

Is it normal to bounce from one compulsive behaviour to the next?

First a big Congratulations on all of your hard work!:dance2::funky: It certainly has paid off.

As for the internet, I use the computer at the library and only have a one to two hour period once a day in which to use it. I am then forced to do other things with my time.

I like Stargazer's idea about keeping a list. You may want to limit your time on the computer for only a couple hours a day.

Great work!:2thumbs:

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Thanks you guys, the list and timer are great ideas, I will try them both,

I like the reminder about a day at a time too, I guess I can't expect to solve every problem at once, I have lots of lost time to make up for too, I think its that pressure that makes me develop more compulsive behaviours, feeling like I have to accomplish all these things and do all these things because of all the wasted hours spent on my compulsions.

Thanks so much for the ideas.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.