More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Fewer teens using drugs
USA TODAY - April 06, 2006

Drug use has edged downward among teens nationwide, with the biggest decreases driven by teens in the Midwest and South, according to a national survey on drug and alcohol use.

Children 12 to 17 years old who reported using any illicit drug in the past month declined from 11.4% to 10.9% between 2002 and 2004. States that saw the biggest declines in teen drug use were Illinois, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Carolina, Virginia and Vermont.

The study, to be released today by the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), combines data from interviews of 135,500 people in 2003 and 2004 as part of the National Surveys on Drug Use and Health.

The large number of interviews and the depth of the surveys offer one of the most detailed reports available on substance abuse in the USA.

Among its findings:

*There were no statistically significant increases in any age group for drug use.

*Alcohol use ranged from a low of 29.3% in Utah to 62.1% in Wisconsin.

*Among teens, the only state to see an increase in tobacco use was California, from 9.2% to 10.9%.

Among all age groups nationwide, illicit drug use remained steady, but Florida, Nevada, Washington state and Washington, D.C., showed significant declines.

Past-month use of illicit drugs including marijuana dropped from 11.6% to 9.6% in Washington, D.C.; from 8.7% to 7.8% in Florida; from 10.3% to 8.7% in Nevada; and from 10% to 8.5% in Washington state.

Washington state has increased its spending on prevention and treatment from $180 million to $300 million over five years, says Doug Allen, acting director of the division of alcohol and substance abuse for the state's Department of Social & Health Services.

"We think we're turning the corner, but you're always holding your breath," Allen said.

Alaska had the highest rate of illegal drug use in the nation for the second year in a row. Mississippi displaced Utah as the state for drug-free living.

Nearly 12% of Alaskans said they had used an illicit drug in the past month. The national average for past month drug use is about 8%.

Alaska also had high rates of pot smoking and binge drinking. One in 10 Alaskans reported pot use in the past month.

Drug treatment in Alaska is in short supply. Alaska had the highest percentage of people 12 and older who needed drug treatment but did not receive it.

States should be using the data to gauge whether their prevention and treatment programs are working, SAMHSA administrator Charles Curie said .

"States can tailor an approach based on their own data," Curie said.

Retired

In conversations with teens surrounding treatment options for Tourette and co morbid conditions such as ADD or anxiety disorder, I noticed many teens reluctant to accept medications to treat their disorders.

Do you feel this trend among young people is resulting in a backlash where treatment options requiring medications might be refused?

Is the good news of reduced street drug use among teens causing over reaction to legitimate medication treatment?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I don't think so. In my experience, most teens are reluctant to take prescription medications and that's been true for a long time - I think it's the stigma, or a fear of stigmatization - they don't want people to think they're "crazy". But that doesn't stop them from using pot or alcohol or other things to self-medicate - that's not "bug juice" as they call it - it's "cool".

Steph

I did a seminar on addictions.

The research indicates that peer pressure is a reason that people start using alcohol and drugs.

Also peer pressure plays a role in not taking drugs perscribed by a doctor unless it can be abused to get a high.

The teen population is at a great risk for adverse health risks because they are generally unprepared for the pressures of life.? Steph

Retired

Which brings us to the dilemma of how to get treatment for a teen who does not feel at ease communicating with parents and reluctant to discuss the problem with the doctor for fear of being prescribed medication.

Steph

It really is a dilemma because how do we help someone who doesn't want to be helped?

We have certainly guided that teen in the right direction and have provided up to date information that could make a big difference in that person's life.

However the need to be independent drives us away.

I wish I knew the answer.? Steph

foghlaim

We have certainly guided that teen in the right direction and have provided up to date information that could make a big difference in that person's life.

just wondering if the guidance and info was from an adult perspective and not on the level of a teen
i'm thinking was info delivered in teen language..
maybe another teen (on meds) could talk to other teens...

just think out loud again... (must knock that habit..lol)

Steph

Hi Notsureanymore,

You have a good point.? The information was given in the teen section of a forum by TSOW and I.?

The information is medical information and it is intended for anyone with this particular syndrome.

I am not sure how the information could be provided in a teen language but our main message to her was to try and involve her family in seeking information therefore they would be less critical of her.

Instead of being loving and supportive to her, her family is not.

We are looking for ways to help her.?

Any other ideas on how to help would be appreciated. Steph

foghlaim

not sure if any ideas i can come up with are of any help as i would imagine ye would have thought of these already. as a parent of a handful of "kids", i know i have learned alot from reading and talking with them and trying to understand "where they were coming from".

have ye suggested she leave info lying around the house.. and that way "indirectly" let them know , educate them and also let them know how this is affecting her.
maybe she could write her own notes\diary type pages and "convienently\accidently" leave them to be seen..

again of the top of my head.. maybe making no sense..

ThatLady

Steph said:
It really is a dilemma because how do we help someone who doesn't want to be helped?

However the need to be independent drives us away.

I wish I knew the answer. Steph

Sadly, helping someone who doesn't wish to be helped is an exercise in futility. Parents of teens would like to believe that resistance is futile, but the teen is convinced that interference is futile and they're bound and determined to prove themselves right. The best we can do is to provide information, be there when (and if) we're needed, listen if the teen miraculously decides to talk, and pray...not necessarily in that order.

Steph

Hi ThatLady,

helping someone who doesn't wish to be helped is an exercise in futility

You are right, we just want to make sure that we do everything we can for her.?

The people on the forum are worth the effort.? Steph

Retired

helping someone who doesn't wish to be helped is an exercise in futility

I agree in part because we know we cannot change the behaviour of others. As support counselors we can provide the person with all the information and options we know about and leave them to act on it.

This would be my mindset in dealing with an adult, but as Steph has pointed out we are dealing with teenage young women.

Personally I don't have experience dealing with teens, so I hope I can get some direction from others on Psychlinks who have such experience.

These young people appear to be living with their parents, so we don't want to create a rift between parents and child. It's not clear if the parents are involved in their medical care or if the parents accompany the teens to see their doctors.

The teens refuse to take medications for whatever reason, some of the dynamics having been alluded to earlier in this discussion.

Teens are in their formative years, and are probably rebellious yet insecure. They seem skeptical yet influenced by peer pressure.

I don't feel the role of a support counselor is to unduly influence or manipulate an insecure or naive client, so the question is what measures should one take to persuade a teen to study all available options, including therapeutic options, and then through discussion with parents and doctors make a decision based on benefits vs risk and potential to improve quality of life.

After all, this is the process one would expect an adult to follow in making up their mind what is best for them, so how do we give a teen a push to begin thinking like an adult?

Looking forward to your insights :)

Steph

With regards to the push for the teen group.

So far the posts have been a very gentle nudges and I think for the push to be effective then we could provide a negative outcome.

For example without family support then anxiety generally increases, self esteem could be affected therefore affecting our mood with could lead to a mood disorder.? Steph

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.