More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Some visual/layout issues first:

1. View your forum at 800 x 600 - your banner is too large for the forum and throws the top off balance with the rest of the page - reduce it to 780 ox maximum width.

2. The top AdSense banner should be spaced down a line from the navigation bar.

3. You have no page title - this is your number 1 place for SEO - you're wasting it now.

Some forum administration suggestions:

1. You have several categories with no new posts in months or in some cases more than a year - collapse them with related forums with more recent activity.

2. Decide on a focus for this forum - you have medical and coping forums and that's what people will be searching for - but the "recipes" forum and the "chapel" category I think may turn potential members away. Nothing wrong with mixing in some spiritual messages in various parts of your forums but don't highlight it as if this is a Christian forum because that can be associated with an anti-medical stance in some cases and it may also deter membership from non-Christians.

3. Write your forum descriptions with the search engines in mind - this is another prime area for potential search terms - and it's on the home page - don't waste it.

4. Be consistent in capitalization of category and forum names. Spell check.

5. Webrings are not helpful from a membership or SEO standpoint (they take visitors away from your site more than they bring in new visitors) and they look cheap and spammy. In your case, the webring banner in the footer is not centered, adding to the cheesy look.

6. Most importantly, you need to maintain an active presence in your forum - visit daily and post daily - and find yourself some motivated moderators who will help you do that (like the amazing moderators we have here :) ).

Also, you're still running SMF RC3 - version 1.1 final is out and you can now upgrade SMF even more simply by downloading their "webinstall" module.

Halo

Looks like you got your feedback as requested. If you need anything further or if I can help in any way, let me know :)

momof5

1. View your forum at 800 x 600 - your banner is too large for the forum and throws the top off balance with the rest of the page - reduce it to 780 ox maximum width.
Ok, got you on that one.

2. The top AdSense banner should be spaced down a line from the navigation bar.
So i suppose I should add a new table? (I have yet to conquer changing this layout as opposed to the phpbb, that one was easier for some reason)

3. You have no page title - this is your number 1 place for SEO - you're wasting it now.
I thought that i had put that into the page. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I also thought I had done the meta tags, though know they aren't too important I still like to have them there for engines that do use them.

1. You have several categories with no new posts in months or in some cases more than a year - collapse them with related forums with more recent activity.
Other then a few between Tom and myself, uhmm I would classify that whole forum as non responsive!

2. Decide on a focus for this forum - you have medical and coping forums and that's what people will be searching for - but the "recipes" forum and the "chapel" category I think may turn potential members away. Nothing wrong with mixing in some spiritual messages in various parts of your forums but don't highlight it as if this is a Christian forum because that can be associated with an anti-medical stance in some cases and it may also deter membership from non-Christians.
Could this be done as a sub forum somehow? I know a several members are christians and had requested usage of the areas. Though not in use now. sigh.

5. Webrings are not helpful from a membership or SEO standpoint (they take visitors away from your site more than they bring in new visitors) and they look cheap and spammy. In your case, the webring banner in the footer is not centered, adding to the cheesy look.
I had joined co-cure as they have an immense amount of information, I suppose it would be better to place the information I find within the forum?

I know with learning and lots of illness problems and other problems past year plus the forum has not recieved the amount of attention that it has needed to be successful.

I'm retaking the php course. I need to get that one down. SEO course, two of them. Someone is helpig me with seo, and with web design. Both offered and now I need to take them up on it. These are both courses that in addition to normal?, coding I know I need to do and accomplish.

Also, you're still running SMF RC3 - version 1.1 final is out and you can now upgrade SMF even more simply by downloading their "webinstall" module.
Then the install isn't correct on the forum as I installed a version, not sure of which, but I went from the original one we started with the the other version they had. (yes confused as to where I am on it) I had tried to do things on my own etc.. and I think I have a few things totally messed up on the forum. Big time in regards to installation.

sigh, anyone interested in becoming a mod that could focus some time? :D

Hi Nancy, thanks for the offer. I'm so determined to make it in the web world and have worked so hard at it. In a way I am disapointed in the forum, but I know I haven't put the time into it this year I should have. I haven't even been on other forums for web design as I usually am. Its been a downer past two years emotionally, physically etc for me

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I've got a few too many projects on the go at the moment, mo5, but if you wish I could try a reorg and update for you in a little while. The latest isn't RC3 but the "gold" release of 1.1.

The spacing could be another nested table I suppose but even a <br /> or <p> would do the trick.

I think even if you renamed "The Chapel" to "spiritual support" or something nondenominational it would be better. Even better would be "Member Support" or "Mutual Support" or something completely non-religious - it doesn't mean people can't post things like "you're in my prayers" - it's more that you don't givbe the impression than other faiths aren't welcome.

momof5

I've got a few too many projects on the go at the moment,
LOL!
but if you wish I could try a reorg and update for you in a little while. The latest isn't RC3 but the "gold" release of 1.1.

The spacing could be another nested table I suppose but even a <br /> or <p> would do the trick.

I think even if you renamed "The Chapel" to "spiritual support" or something nondenominational it would be better. Even better would be "Member Support" or "Mutual Support" or something completely non-religious - it doesn't mean people can't post things like "you're in my prayers" - it's more that you don't givbe the impression than other faiths aren't welcome.

Sounds great to me David, I know you are very busy right now. So no problem on timing of it. As I said I am taking a couple of courses, and this is my 3rd bat at the php so I would like to finish it.

Agree to spiritual support as opposed to chapel. Though I would have thought that all denominations had a chapel type thing?

Even member support would be a good idea. I never gave thought that people without faith would not feel welcome.

I had put recipes due to healthy eating with medical issues. Sub forum that somehow? Or remove totally? Or put out a news letter where people could place recipes into it?

foghlaim

healthy eating with medical issues.
this could be the title of that forum maybe?

holistically
"a Holistic approach" takes in spiritual as well doesn't it? Mind, body and soul.. so people could if they wanted leave spiritual msg's in a thread or forum under a heading similar to this.. Maybe??

sorry for stealing the words from above, they gave me these ideas, whether they are of use tho is another thing altogether. :)

momof5

foghlaim, I do like your idea, this would include recipes and other issues. Thanks for the ideas I greatly appreciate them.

Halo

sigh, anyone interested in becoming a mod that could focus some time? :D

Mom,

If you are serious about your request for a mod and need for some help and will accept someone with very limited knowledge of Fibromyalgia but is willing to learn, has lots of time on her hands, not much of a social life and loves computers then give me a shout because I would love to help you out :D

Anything to see your forum up and running and helping others ;)

Take care
:hug:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
someone with very limited knowledge of Fibromyalgia but is willing to learn, has lots of time on her hands, not much of a social life and loves computers

I had to read that twice. I thought you were talking about me. :panic:

Halo

But the first time reading it you probably missed the part that said "time on her hands"...unless of course your real name is Daisy and not David :lol: :D

Halo

Well surprise, surprise while reading about [WIKIPEDIA]Clever Hans[/WIKIPEDIA] there was the following reference about your favourite show.....the Simpsons:

In an episode of The Simpsons ("Smart and Smarter"), Lisa Simpson becomes jealous of her baby sister Maggie after Maggie is "discovered" to have an even higher IQ than the precocious Lisa. Later in the episode, Lisa is relieved to find that she had been unconsciously cueing Maggie's "correct" IQ-test answers.

Like you didn't know that was there :rolleyes: :D

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.