More threads by prayerbear

I have finally received notice that next month I am going to go before a law judge with my attorney and paperwork to determine if I am disaabled. I am soooo nervous...I am diagnosed OCD personality disorder, major depressive disorder, panic disorder, paranoid personality disorder, amnesitic disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder.

? I am very scared of what would happen if they turned me down, and they said that the judge (David Engel) would mail me his decision. How long is this going to take?

? Anyone with a similiar diagnosis gone thru this nerve-jarring experience?

Re: Finally a court date for miss clean!

Hi miss clean!

I've never heard of having to go before a judge to determine whether one is disabled or not. Is this a procedure to determine whether you are eligible for government assistance?

However, I have been to court before. It can be very stressful. You have lots of friends here to go through the process with you though!!!!

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: Finally a court date for miss clean!

healthbound said:
I've never heard of having to go before a judge to determine whether one is disabled or not.

The judge is an administrative law judge. Most appeals are initially denied when filed. Then, the case is sent to an administrative law judge.

miss clean said:
I am very scared of what would happen if they turned me down

The good news is that most appeals are approved when sent to an administrative law judge. (Compared to other parts of the disability claims process, seeing the judge has the highest rate of approval.)

From what I have read, the judge will normally ask you at least a few questions that you (not your attorney) will have to answer. So it may be a good idea for your attorney to prep you if she/he isn't already planning to do so. Some advice from the social security disability newsgroup:

Volunteer NOTHING positive, in any way. Always answer with your
WORST day in mind; forget about any other days.

Relax, take it easy, and don't worry about it. Worrying won't
change anything. Plan, but don't worry.

miss clean said:
...and they said that the judge (David Engel) would mail me his decision. How long is this going to take?

As far as how long it would take for the judge to issue a decision, I have read that it can take 6-12 weeks though sometimes the judge will issue a decision from the bench:
How long will it take for a judge's decision, and how long before benefits start?

Your attorney or the hearing office should have a much better idea since the case load differs for each region.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.