More threads by Retired

Retired

Do you use Firefox as your browser? If so, do you find it satisfactory? Is it compatible with all websites and/or forum software?

Why is Firefox preferable to Internet Explorer?

I am considering switching to FF and would appreciate further insights.

i use it and am quite happy with it. i occasionally run into websites that are designed for IE and the layout gets messed up a bit, or javascript doesn't work as intended. if i really want to view a site like that, i open it up in IE.

i like that i can block advertisements in firefox. not sure if that is a feature in IE.

Retired

Because my eyes are geting old

A good reason for me to consider FF as well :D :D

Ladybug,

According to another discussion I'm following on this topic:

FF will work with all web sites that are written to the HTML standards. It may fail on pages that are written specifically for IE, but there is an extension called IE Tab that lets you load those pages in a FF tab using the IE renderer.

Further here is an announcement from Mozilla I picked up in my research:

As part of Mozilla Corporation?s ongoing stability and security update process, Firefox 1.5.0.10 and Firefox 2.0.0.2 are now available for Windows, Mac, and Linux for free download from getfirefox.com.

Due to the security fixes, we strongly recommend that all Firefox users upgrade to these latest releases.

Note: Firefox 1.5.0.x will be maintained with security and stability updates until April 24, 2007. All users are encouraged to upgrade to Firefox 2. Firefox 1.5.0.10 is available for download from http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/all-older.html.

If you already have Firefox 1.5.0.x or Firefox 2.0.0.x, you will receive an automated update notification within 24 to 48 hours. This update can also be applied manually by selecting ?Check for Updates?? from the Help menu starting later today.

For a list of changes and more information, please review the Firefox 1.5.0.10 Release Notes and the Firefox 2.0.0.2 Release Notes.

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I find Firefox slow to load and slow to browse on my system.

Because my eyes are geting old. The text zoom feature is better implemented in FireFox than IE7.

Odd. When I need it, I find the IE7 zoom feature works very well.

Also, IE doesn't allow for plugins, like mouseless browsing in Firefox.

IE7 does allow for plugins and the number is increasing. See http://www.ieaddons.com/default.aspx?cid=home&scid=0 and http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/ .

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
When I need it, I find the IE7 zoom feature works very well.

I'm using IE7 under Vista, and that may explain the different user experience.
For text, IE7 under Vista is subpar compared to FireFox since horizontal scrolling is often required to see a line of text.
However, the reverse is true for images/graphics with IE7, at least under Vista, with IE7 zooming images along with text with FireFox only zooming text.

Retired

Daniel,

Did you install Vista on an existing system as a upgrade or did it come with a new system?

If it was an upgrade installation, how did the upgrade go? Any problems running XP software?

What's your overall assessment of Vista compared to XP?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I did a new installation of Vista "Home Premium," so everything was fresh. (The "Home Basic" version lacks too many features.)

For the most part, I haven't had problems installing software. However, I haven't been able to install a couple freeware/shareware programs, so I just don't use them and wait for the publisher to make a Vista version.

I was a beta tester for Vista, so I already had upgraded my memory to almost a gigabyte of memory.

Regarding XP vs. Vista, I like Vista more because it's prettier with better graphics -- and that's mostly it. I woudn't have done the installation as quickly if I didn't have academic pricing. (I bought the upgrade DVD for like $68.)

i wonder why firefox is slow for you. it might be an issue with your overall setup?

i think in the end it doesn't matter any more these days which browser you have. in the early days it made a difference but today i think they each probably are just as good, with slight differences in features.

Retired

Daniel,

The "Home Basic" version lacks too many features

My system rum XP Media Center Edition, which, as you know is built on XP Pro platform with various multi media features such as the ability to record streaming TV.

When the time comes, what Vist upgrade would I want in order to preserve the MCE features?

As for Firefox, I feel I owe it to myself to give it a try. The installation is in my download file, and I'll install it the next free time I have...once I get passed the Honey-Do list {sigh}

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Windows Media Center is available in the "Home Premium" version and in the "Ultimate" version. It is not available in "Home Basic" or "Business."

So I would definitely go with "Home Premium" since the "Ultimate" version is really expensive and does not really offer much extra for non-business-office users. The only thing I miss that is not in "Home Premium" is the Microsoft Fax & Scan software since that is not in the Home versions of Vista.

Also: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The only thing I miss that is not in "Home Premium" is the Microsoft Fax & Scan software since that is not in the Home versions of Vista.

That sucks. I can live without the media features but I need the fax software. :(

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
That sucks. I can live without the media features but I need the fax software. :(

BTW, WinFax by Symantec isn't going to be available for Vista:

I was surprised to find out that Microsoft (MSFT) only supports sending and receiving faxes in the Business and Ultimate versions of Vista.

A couple of third-party vendors are readying Vista fax products. RKS Software (www.rkssoftware.com) is preparing a Vista version of its $19.95 MightyFax, but says the work "is proving to be quite difficult" and is "taking somewhat longer than we anticipated." NetCFax (www.netcplus.com) is planning to release a Vista-ready version on Feb. 25. Unfortunately, this is a fairly expensive multi-user product, with prices starting at $169.50 for five users.

...Microsoft's marketing materials don't mention the disappearance of a capability that Windows users have long come to expect.

Finding Vista's Fax Flaws - BusinessWeek

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Oh well... I think I'll hold off on upgrading for a while yet in any case. I'm happy with XP at the moment and in no hurry to get the latest and not-so-greatest. I suspect that the major advantages for Vista will be in its 64-bit support which isn't relevant for me at the moment anyway.

Retired

The only thing I miss that is not in "Home Premium" is the Microsoft Fax & Scan software since that is not in the Home versions of Vista.

Comes as a disappointment for me too, as I use the Windows Fax applet. I used to use Winfax, but since retirement the occasional fax can be done satisfactorily with the Windows Fax applet.

What are they thinking down there in Redmond?

Microsoft's marketing materials don't mention the disappearance of a capability that Windows users have long come to expect.

Oh yes, another Windows undocumented feature :mad:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
What are they thinking down there in Redmond?

...especially since Vista is competing not only with Windows XP but also Mac OS X (which has faxing built-in) and Linux.

AVC

Do you use Firefox as your browser? If so, do you find it satisfactory? Is it compatible with all websites and/or forum software?

Why is Firefox preferable to Internet Explorer?

I am considering switching to FF and would appreciate further insights.

It is just another browser to load on your machine that is of great use, most of the time I use IE7, but there are times I need Firefox to save a page that IE7 will not save, Firefox never fails to save the file.

In addition, it seems to have a much better bookmarking capability and there are a ton of plug ins that are fantastic, not only for users but for web developers.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
For what it's worth (not much), the editors at CNET liked FireFox 2.0 more than IE7:

Firefox 2 still rules the browser roost for now, despite a much improved version of Internet Explorer. The most obvious new feature for IE 7 (tabs) has been in Firefox forever, and the security additions from Microsoft aren't enough for us to allay concerns over new possible exploits. Lastly, the extensibility of Firefox 2 is its knockout punch, and IE's add-ons cannot compare. The flexibility and customizability of Firefox might be best suited to more advanced Web users, but it has earned its spot at the top of the browsers.

CNET Prizefight: IE7 vs FireFox 2.0

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.