More threads by Jazzey

Jazzey

Account Closed
Is it possible to still get the same amount of benefit from seing a psychologist once a month rather than more frequently? Or, does the frequency have to be more closely related so that you can really work on the issues?

I'm debating reducing the frequency of my visits from twice a month to once a month. Not because I'm not seeing the benefit, this would purely be a financial decision but I don't want to sabotage my recovery either. If the benefit is greater with greater frequency, then I'll do what I need to ensure that frequency.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
In an advanced stage of therapy, sessions once per month can provide "booster sessions" and helpful monitoring of "slips" or "setbacks", etc.

However, while I do sometimes see people with that sort of frequency early in therapy (at their request), to be honest I find it is usually slow going and difficult to maintain continuity and context. The preferred practice is to schedule appointments closer together initially, typically once per week, and then as the client makes progress in addressing the issues, gradually stretch the intervals between sessions.

I would think, given the issues that you have identified, it is far too early to go to monthly appointments, unless there is a compelling financial constraint. I would anticipate that this would greatly slow your progress at this point in your therapy.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Thank you Dr. Baxter.:) I assumed as much but wasn't sure. My psychologist has been gently nudging me to go to once a week...I think I'll figure something out to do just that.

Thanks again. :)

Jackie

Hello Jazzey,

I think once a week is best, especially when you are working on things. One problem with the UK is when you do get a therapist they very often can't see you every week, more like every two/once a month even every 6 weeks so you end up feeling that you are getting no where, The gap inbetween is too big. So if you can stick with once a week for now:hug:

ladylore

Account Closed
Does she provide sliding scale? You could always ask her and you may be nicely surprised. You deserve the support.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Thanks Jackie - it's just hard sometimes (financially and to schedule). But I'll make my best efforts to make it work. I can appreciate how the more frequent sesions could help me - I was just being a little panicky about the money this morning - but I know I have other avenues.

Thanks LL - no, she hasn't mentioned any sliding scale. But then again, I haven't asked. Through a business association, I could get 5 free sessions. I've put off so far only because I feel like if I'm exploiting the system. But this may have to be my next recourse.

ladylore

Account Closed
It's been my experiece that you don't exploit anything. Ask - that way you can get the therapy you need right now. :)

I agree with Ladylore. I understand about the financial constraints but I think it is hard to maintain the focus if visits are reduced to once a month. I did that one time and most of the hour was focused on trying to catch up from the visit before so we didn't make much progress...

Take care! :support:

TG

Jackie

Thanks Jackie - it's just hard sometimes (financially and to schedule). But I'll make my best efforts to make it work. I can appreciate how the more frequent sesions could help me - I was just being a little panicky about the money this morning - but I know I have other avenues.

I'm not sure how your system works in Canada, but are there any charties that could help? Maybe give you a small grant to help pay for therapy, or as another member says, ask the therapist, maybe you can get a reduction, or fee waiver if you are broke?:hug:

Jazzey

Account Closed
Thanks everyone, I just called my assistance program. They've offered me an additional 5 free sessions to deal with dissociation. :D That really is a relief to me right now as I'm swimming in a few bills.

And I'd really like to do the weekly sessions. Financially though it was just a little too taxing for me.

Thanks again for all your support everyone. :) :grouphug:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.