More threads by Nikii

Nikii

Does anyone have information or insight into what is meant by the "good-enough therapeutic alliance"?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
When searching Google, it seems to be used mostly in a binary way -- simply the opposite of not good enough.

The phrase seems to be used mostly to underscore the importance of the therapeutic alliance, with a good-enough alliance meaning the alliance is sufficient for therapy to be effective.

Nikii

Thank you everyone. The context was in relation to something discussed with my therapist. I sucked it up and asked and she sent me to a website which had a fair enough explanation. I just wondered if it was just a phrase or some type of theory in therapy.

"Healing complex trauma requires connection, attachment. The skills that are missing are missing because things went terribly wrong in early relationships, thus a different kind of relationship is required to master them now. The neglect, abuse, betrayal and just plain ineffective environment of your earliest relationships have caused you to develop complex PTSD. It is in the context of a different kind of relationship that you can identify, understand and ultimately heal the impact of your early experiences.

This different kind of relationship happens with the development over time of a good-enough therapeutic alliance. A good-enough alliance is not perfect (no relationship is), but it is strong enough to withstand the inevitable empathic breaks and ruptures. It is a relationship in which repair of the same takes place. Over and over again as needed."

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
It may also be worth noting that the client's perceptions of the alliance may be quite different than the therapist's perceptions, especially in the beginning:

Psychotherapy Relationships That ... - John C. Norcross - Google Books

This is another reason why some therapists and researchers advocate for therapists giving their clients periodic questionnaires.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Similarly:

Clients [usually] have to learn as they go, costing them valuable time and money. Here are a few pointers to help clients level the playing field...

Issues regarding the relationship with your therapist (if there are any) come next. This could be anything - you're thinking about termination, you felt angry after the last session, you're worried what she thinks of you, you had a dream about him, etc. These relationship issues take top priority because they will impact all other areas of your therapy.

21 Tips for Clients in Psychotherapy | Psychology Today

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.