More threads by suzie

suzie

Where do start,student ,20.Recently lost my boyfriend to suicide-well september 2007.HAve hit rock bottom at the moment and as a result not feeling great.

Been in contact with a md about medication but she thinks I am too young and too recently bereaved,saddly its adding to my anxiety and preexisting illness.I went through some bereavement counseling which was ineffective and I just dont know where to go.

I had PTSD xounselling last may after a sexual asault and found this brillant.

I am wondering does anyone have any other solutions as I cannot get medications and I am finding counselling ineffective this time.

Suzanne:confused:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Welcome to Psychlinks, Suzanne.

I'm not familiar with the health system in Ireland but do you have the option of seeing another doctor? First, a loss by suicide is not a simple or ordinary bereavement, and September 2007 is not all that recent. Additionally, I'm not sure why being 20 would be a comtraindication to medication. I do think a second opinion might well be in order here.

I also wonder if the therapist you saw for PTSD last year might be available for you to see again. Two traumatic events within a 4 month period may well have retriggered your PTSD.

suzie

The medical system works on a family doctor system.I returned to the PTSD counsellr but it just was not the same.
Their is a number of contibuting factors for no medication-age been the biggest one,medical history and thirdly length of time.
I suppose in one sense I am very lucky,I have 20 friends who are trainee psychotherapists,they just cant handle it at the moment. I am pulling through Matts suicide at the moment because I was their when his body was found and it lets me feel that i can hold unto him.
I have researched the brillance of some medications that have little to know side effects but I jst dont know which one is the most beneficial,I feel my gp does not understand the drugs hence her hesitation.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'm not suggesting that medication is all you need - quite the contrary. But given that you've experienced two very traumatic events in a short period of time, I would suggest that one of the SSRI medications (for example venlafaxine, fluoxetine, citalopram, or escitalopram) would be helpful. As for your age, at 20 that should not be factor even if your doctor is being ultraconservative. I don't know anything about your medical history of course - I'm not sure what in that area might be a contraindication.

What about seeing another therapist or psychiatrist to give your doctor some additional input?

suzie

Thanks will get on the waiting list for an additional consult it may encourage my doctor to take what i am saying for real.She is not understanding how messed up my head is about it all but an additional consult will surely support my argument.In this short time you have changed my view from doom to relief.Thank you

ladylore

Account Closed
Welcome Suzie :welcome2:

I have had to deal with grief myself and it is a process. Glad you found us.

Halo

Hi Suzie and welcome to Psychlinks :welcome2:

I hope that you fair off well with getting another consult and that your gp takes you more seriously. I know what that is like when your gp doesn't take you seriously....I have been there. Let's hope that a consult with another person will be more helpful.

In any event, I am glad that you decided to join us and I hope to see you around :wave:

suzie

Hey everybody,just thought Id fill you in a small bit.I attended my doctor this afternoon and asked for the referal,miraculously she rang a colleague and got the appointment which is fantastic.Their is a downside however the appointment is not until April 25th so Iam not sure will I bother with it.

Also managed to find a friend who can give drugs and the appontment would be far faster.Theirs relief and apprehension as to what the future holds but at least I may have something to cling to.

Many Thanks for everyones greetings
Suzanne

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Was the April 25 appointment to a psychiatrist and/or therapist, Suzie? If so, it might be worth keeping it as well as seeing the doctor you have an earlier appointment with.

i think keeping the appointment would be a good idea. one thing i've learned to do is to keep these kinds of appointments just in case and i've never regretted it :) it may seem like forever before april 25th but it can't hurt to have it there for you to hang on to.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.