More threads by SoSo

SoSo

I had finally found a therapist, but haven't gone back after 2 sessions. I just didn't find it helped at all and haven't called to let her know I won't be back because I don't want to offend her. It was Christian counseling, she would ask me to give her a number, go into the Bible, read the verse, pray, etc. I just don't think that is of any use to me. I believe in God, etc but need someone who will help me 'talk' about or accept and move beyond what happened in my life. Now, I feel bad because I can't find the courage to call her and tell her I don't like that form of therapy. I like her, just not the therapy. I asked my GP to refer me to someone else but the wait list is so long. I am going to call around tomorrow and see what else is available in this area. While I am getting more secure in my own identity, I still want to deal with issues that need to be dealt with if I am to move on. Any suggestions as to where I would start would be helpful. Would I call a crises line to see what they can suggest until I get a new T? They should have info on what is available in my area I would think.
SoSo

Mari

MVP
That counseling sounds a bit odd but I am not sure how to find a therapist without a referral from someone especially if finances are a concern. I am not sure if a crisis line would actually give a referral but they might have an office number that provides referrals. Is your GP actively looking for another referral for you? Are you on a waiting list? :dimples: Mari

SoSo

Yes, my GP is trying to get me into see a psychiatrist but the waiting list is so long. I know there are sometimes groups that a person can get into while waiting, will just have to see if I can find something in my area as I was told I could be looking at a very long wait. I just felt bad that I left the other T as I do like her but did not like the therapy, just couldn't see where that would help really.
SoSo

SoSo

I have tried the OMHA number, just keep getting a 'general mailbox' where a message can be left. I have tried NAMI and found the Crisis line number, they are always busy helping someone but that is a good thing. I am going to just call the local hospitals to see what they can suggest.
SoSo

i found this information for ontario here: Ontario Psychological Association
Finding the right Psychologist

How do I find a psychologist?

The Ontario Psychological Association offers a free referral service so you can find someone to help with your concern. Both individuals and organizations are welcome to contact us.

416-961-0069
1-800-268-0069

Service available Monday to Friday, 10:00 am to 3:30 pm.

OR

Use our Website Referral Service:

REFERRAL

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.