More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I wish I read more than one chapter of all the computer books, that were meant for me. In my most motivated state, I felt asleep on the third chapter of a Java book :lol:

They are pretty deadly. Best to read books like that when you have to create something that requires the knowledge or skill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey if anyone wants to play with various types of software, a good place to start is chasms.com

If you select Windows, they have a mock-up of what it's like to go through various Windows programs... I've already had to use this when I am helping customers with newly downloaded Windows 10 upgrades to connect to WIFI...

I've had a few customers where it worked just fine, and other customers who either couldn't figure it out or who had software issues after the upgrade... And then there was at least one customer who didn't like Windows 10 and tried to go back to Windows 7... but when he did go back, he seemed to have lost his drivers or software or something to reconnect to WIFI.

---------- Post Merged at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:26 AM ----------

If you do ANY upgrade, I strongly recommend backing up whatever you have first... Then you can always try a restore-to-backup... Or maaaybe a system restore...?

Retired

If you do ANY upgrade, I strongly recommend backing up whatever you have first.

The way to restore a system to its previous condition would be to have made a system image of the earlier system.

Windows backup has the capability to create a system image, as well as some third party backup utilities.

An image is usually saved to an external hard drive, because of its size and ability to restore if required.

Personally I use Carbonite, the cloud backup that saves a daily image of my system to a local external hard drive.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Does Carbonite come with software to do that? Or is that a separate utility?

That actually sounds like a great idea.

Retired

When you purchase the service, you download the required software, depending on which level of service is purchased. For home use there are three levels of service. I purchased the middle plan (Plus).

In addition to the image backup, I have a recovery disk, both locally as well as accessible online, and I can access my backed up files online or on my tablet(s) using either Android or iPad apps. There is a synch service that I don't use, but what's impressive about Carbonite is the U.S. based customer support.

I've been a user for about four years, and it has worked flawlessly for me...backing up and restore.

You can try Carbonite free for 15 days. (this is a referral link)

Yeah! What you said, Steve.

Yeah, sorry, brain isn't functioning. I forgot I have the Windows thingie that copies itself and I've done a few System Restores, so you'd think I'd have remembered that.

Retired

Upgraded the first Toshiba laptop that previously ran Win 8.1. My initial concern was for a few utilities I use to synchronize information and peripherals among several systems, but was willing to roll back if I was unsatisfied with the result.

In order to satisfy myself that Win 10 was not some horridly disastrous interface as was the tile interface of Win 8, I checked out some stock computers at Best Buy to see what Win 10 looked and felt like.

With the realization that a desktop interface was still possible, and that my trusty Classic Shell was now in a stable version to ensure a classic Win 7 / XP desktop experience, I decided to go ahead.

I began at about 3:30 in the afternoon, and the complete upgrade process was completed by about 6 pm.

The Express privacy settings were a concern to me, so I used the customized settings (difficult to see the link if you don't look for it) for now until I understand the intent a little better. These can be changed later.

My concern about those important utilities have been allayed, as they all work as expected.

Will be trying various operations to explore various functionalities, but I am encouraged so far.

My comfort blanket was Classic Shell, because I knew that if I didn't like what Win10 looked and felt like, I could fall back on familiar ground.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'm still very happy with Windows 10. Upgraded a relative's laptop last week. Used Classic Shell. He was pretty happy with the result.

PrincessX

Account Closed
Getting Windows 10, despite being a hater. The tutoring company made it mandatory. This virus is soon going to be installed on all PCs at home! The solution to this algorithm is that I am gonna stick to my old smart buddy (cell phone). Just joking, sorry.
On a serious note, now I have to start saving for upgraded anti-virus programs.

Retired

I have to start saving for upgraded anti-virus programs

As David suggested, Windows Defender is an option and it's free.

For the past three years I have installed Avast Free version on my systems along with systems I help my friends with. I like it because I found it picked up things Defender did not in a few cases, on the initial scan following installation, and it provides a few features not available with Defender, including the ability to send out an email to a pre-set destination in the event of scanned threat.

One caveat, Avast Free frequently bugs you to upgrade with various offers, but the upgraded paid version does not offer any significant benefit in my view.

It runs in the background, and uses little resources (contrary to the Avast Free Android Mobile version..but I digress).

Avast Free download link

In order to preserve my sanity (needing all the help I can get) I installed Classic Shell (free) on my Win8 systems and on the Win10 system. Among other important features, you get a familiar Start button, along with a traditional Windows 7 or Windows XP desktop interface and Start menu. I've used Classic Shell since the inception of Win 8 and it has performed flawlessly...thereby preserving my sanity...;)

PrincessX

Account Closed
Thank you, very helpful info! I signed up my children for tutoring through a private school (bigger institution), and they give me free Windows 10 download on up to five computers and are even willing to help with installing the upgrade, if I bring a laptop there. I don't know if the kids would be expected to learn to use the Win 10 as it is, or I can install classic shell. I will find out. Thank you for your reply!

PrincessX

Account Closed
The latest update is that last week my 11 years old girl upgraded two laptops on her own in one day without even telling us:). Her father was surprised and asked her how did she do that and the reply was: "Dad, this upgrade is really made for kids. I don't know how to explain it. I just clicked here and there and it was super fast and easy."

Retired

Upgraded my primary Win 8.1 system to Win 10 the day before yesterday.

The entire process took about three hours, for preparation to completion.

Needed to have Carbonite tech support re-set up my cloud backup for the new OS

Foxit (PDF) reader locked up and Task Manager was unable to end its task. Never had a failure of Task Manager to shut down a misbehaving program with Win 8.x or Win7.

All other systems, programs and utilities appear to be working, so far.

Will be upgrading another system in the next few days, and will keep you posted.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.